Hosta Placement

sandysoil_2008(6 MA)March 24, 2012

I moved in September and I'm in the process of putting in a garden in the back yard. Right now there is only grass. In the shady area, I'm going to plant different varieties of hosta along with astilbe, foxglove and other shade lovers. I have multiples of each hosta type. Would it be more pleasing to the eye to group each variety of hosta or just randomly plant the hostas regardless of type.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

Would it be more pleasing to the eye to group each variety of hosta or just randomly plant the hostas regardless of type.

===>> why yes ....

not helpful??? ... lol

what is your preference.. ???

and who cares what the others think ...

ken

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 6:23PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

What cultivars do you have? If you have all Lancifolia, Royal Standard, Honeybells and Undulata Albomarginata it won't matter.

Most people here have many many different cultivars based on the space we have. Some have over 1500. Generally speaking people group Hosta together using different cultivars that are pleasing to the eye. Like this.

Or this

Sometimes people mass Hosta of the same cultivar together for effect. Like this.

Take a look at the Gallery side of the forum and peruse the pictures over there. The AHS Tour Gardens are a good place to start. The Hosta Alphabet will also give you a good sense of what those of us on the forum are doing.

In the end it's in the eye of the beholder.

Steve

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 6:27PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

This isn't specific to hosta, but groups of three or 5 plants are very pleasing to the eye. But put them in a group, not a row.

If you are planting a hosta display garden, then contrasting sizes, shapes and colors are pleasing. That's what you will see mostly here. It depends on what colors and how many different varieties you have.

Most of us are hosta nuts, so we have lots of varieties, but not many of each type. (So many hosta, so little space.)

bkay

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:18PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I never planned on where to plant hostas,just put them in when I got them. So far,it works for me,but who else do I have to please? Phil

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 8:27PM
sandysoil_2008(6 MA)

Thanks for the input and the photos. I think I'll place the hostas randomly. The contrast between individual hostas looks great.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 10:01AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

sandysoil,

That first picture was taken at Cochato Nursery in Holbrook, MA. Probably not far from you, if your soil is really sandy. This is a place you should visit not only for beautiful Hosta, but for rare and unusual plants. The display garden is spectacular. Link below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Cochato Nursery

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 11:17AM
sandysoil_2008(6 MA)

Steve, I live in Holbrook and Cochato is right around the corner from me. I went by two days ago but they weren't open yet. I'll definitely be going there for plants. The sandysoil name was from my last home in south Plymouth in the pine barrens. It was a lot of work constantly adding soil amendments and watering. I'm so glad to be where I am now that has "real" soil. It should be a piece of cake to garden.
Sheila

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 12:02PM
garybr

I also have not planned the placement of particular hostas and like what has happened. This is the year I plan to share my results here.
Gary (southern NJ)

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 10:24PM
sandysoil_2008(6 MA)

Gary, if you have any photos to share, that would be great.
Sheila

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™