New to Veggies, starting over for Fall

SakuraSundries(9)September 9, 2012

Hi everyone, I'm new to vegetable gardening, just finished cleaning up after a semi-failed late spring season. I got things in the ground too late and then we had SO much rain, many things failed.

But we're starting over, possibly a little late again, but I'm going for it anyway. Spent all day yesterday building new raised beds, and hope to add more in the next month (in preparation for spring planting).

My question is this, what do you grow in the fall with success, and what would you recommend for me to try?

I'm located in Tampa, my garden areas range from almost excessive sun to part-sun. I am using raised beds, square foot beds (raised w/ Mel's mix), containers/pots, and a hydro-stacker system. I'll hopefully be restarting my old gardening blog and getting pictures of the areas up soon, but there's too much storming today to get out with camera.

I would love to (in the correct time) plant carrots, beets, various lettuces and greens, peas, beans, squash, potatoes, garlic, onions, shallots, leeks and tons of other stuff.

So what are your recommendations and favorites! Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I would recommend you check with your local ag center for advice on what to grow now.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 4:36PM
Beopposed(9)

I have posted a link below that I have found extremely helpful. Actually, this entire site has been an excellent source for information for me. I am also located in Tampa :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:34PM
SakuraSundries(9)

Thanks for the link, I've found a lot of information around online... I guess I'm just curious what other people are actually doing. Sometimes I feel like there is a disconnect between what is posted on sites and what real people are finding works for them.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:56AM
nessz79_10a

I'm a novice, but I have started Brandywine tomatoes inside as well as California Wonder bell peppers. They will go out in the garden in a couple of weeks.

I also want to try broccoli, lettuce, and maybe a couple butternut squash plants. I will wait until October before I even thinking of sowing the seeds.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 3:56PM
Orlando-Dave

It is time to put certain things in the ground; tomatoes, squash, peppers, other frost sensitive veggies. Realize that most of these are frost sensitive so you will either have to try and protect them or expect a short growing season.

You still have time for other varieties like greens (kale, spinach, collards, etc.) and sugar snap peas.

The link above is a great reference and I keep it handy.

Good luck!

Dave

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
How mad would you get if
How mad would you get if someone walked up to a plant...
SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
Asparagus in Central Florida
In case anybody is still wondering, our asparagus patch...
cfldoc
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Plant ID for North-Central Florida
Sorry for the bad pic. The camera lens fogged up a...
xentar_gw
Sponsored Products
Christopher Kashan Hand-tufted Chocolate Paisley Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
George Kovacs Angle 36 3/4" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Indoor Area Rug: Enchant Brown 7' 9" x 9' 9" Plush
Home Depot
Fresca Torino 60" White Modern Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with Side Cabinet & I
Modern Bathroom
Caribe Line Voltage PAR30 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$113.50 | Lumens
Edge White Base Office Chair in Black
$149.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™