amage from recent cold weather

Johnsp(6b)March 30, 2012

Checked my hostas today since a number of days have gone by since a few really cold nights down into the 20s. Of the 2 dozen or so that have started growing Terpischore, Lakeside Hoola Hoop, Diana Remembered, and Ginsu Knife sustained some damage. I covered all with soil but these few were damaged. Though long range forecasts here in NE Pa don't show lows in the 20s anymore I decided to put mulch down early as it generates heat as microbes break it down. How did everyone else make out who had similar night lows.

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I've covered as much as I can for the last 3 nights and will again tonight. We had temps of 22 last Tuesday night. Tonight we have snow forecast. I keep seeing more Hosta sticking their noses out and a few starting to elongate. Those few are the one's I'm covering. I won't know until they are leafed out if I have damage or not. Likely there will be some. I'm a full zone behind you, so there is more frost/freeze ahead.

Steve

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 6:44PM
bernd ny zone5

Steve, here in NY we also had a night at 22, and 1-2 in of snow are forecast, but my hostas only show very little. It looks like Magnolia buds were damaged in my area though.
Bernd

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 7:29PM
ravensfan52(6)

I had heavy leaf damage to my aureomarginata and my hydrangeas and butterfly bushes. I am grateful there was not more widespread perennial damage but I'm still sad about my aureomarginata.
Amy

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™