Package dill pickle mix -Ball or Mrs. Wage's

connie0751(z5 IN)August 20, 2011

Over 20 yrs ago, I used a pkg dill pickle mix by the name of Pilgrim Farm. They were the best pickles. When I couldn't find the mix any longer, I tried Mrs. Wage's and they turned out so bad, I swore I wouldn't use it again. Now, I am getting back into canning and I have seen Ball dill pickle mix and Mrs. Wages'. Has Mrs. Wage's improved over the years? Mrs. Wages' pickles did not stay crisp as the Pilgrim Farm's did. Has anyone tried the Ball mix? Is Ball mix any good? I am not too keen in trying Mrs. Wages' again. TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

First, why do you feel you need to use a mix? There are many excellent pickle recipes available that don't require using one of the packaged mixes and I think it is safe to say that most folks don't use them.

Second, is it the flavor or the lack of crispness you don't like? I can't say if the mixes have improved or not as I have always found Mrs. Wages to be good flavor-wise and we personally prefer it over the Ball mix when and if we use a packaged mix.

But crispness is a whole other issue with different causes and solutions unrelated to the mix itself.

Crispness is related to the type, quality, and the freshness of cucumbers used and the type of processing done. You'll find many discussions here about that. You can also add Pickle Crisp to increase crispness a bit more.

Dave

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 11:01PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

I agree, why buy a mix ? They are so easy to make.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 11:29PM
will6659

The mix is no more than salt and spices and most likely a firming agent.

1 gallon cucumbers
1/3 cup dehydrated minced onion
2 teaspoons dehydrated minced garlic or 6 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
4 teaspoons dill seed
1 1/2 quarts water
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup canning salt

If you don't hot process these, they must be kept in the refriderator and are best after 3 weeks.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 8:59AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Will - What is the source of that recipe? It wouldn't be considered safe by current standards. It has way too much water for the amount of vinegar. With the exception of a couple of tested and approved recipes, 1:1 water to vinegar (equal amounts of both) is the current minimum.

Dave

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™