good way to reheat applesauce to boiling?

lingonAugust 26, 2010

So, I just realised that applesauce that bubbles is not boiling. In my attempts to actually get the sauce to a boiling temperature I covered my kitchen with applesauce splats and burnt my arm in two places so badly it blistered. It spits at even the lowest temperature, or even when constantly stirring at medium temp and takes forever to heat - it starts at about 160 after cooking the apples and putting them through the foley food mill.

How do you all do it? Right now I'm considering microwave or crock pot - I really do not want to tend to spitting applesauce for the next 10 batches of applesauce I plan on making.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

I just use a deep pot. Try heating in batches. Fill enough jars for one canner load before heating the next. The crockpot doesn't boil it hot enough.
It may also be too thick. Applesauce should be just that, a sauce. If it is full of bubbles when you process it, it is too thick.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 9:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkatf

I know this is an old thread, but I want to keep it alive in case it might help someone else as much as it helped me.

When I made applesauce the other day, it looked more like apple paste than applesauce and the processed jars were full of big bubbles. I found this thread and realized I needed to thin and reprocess, so I did the next day. I added some water while heating till the texture seemed right. It was so much easier to fill the jars and there were almost no bubbles in the jars after processing.

I love the wisdom on this forum!

Kathy

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™