My new hoya? Pics

mel_10(3)April 5, 2011

Hello everyone,

I was wandering around the grocery store today, which I probably should not have been :), when I saw this little plant. I believe it is a hoya, the tag only says houseplant, but I am not for sure on which particular one it is. I was hoping some of you wonderful people could help with an ID.

The leaves are in pairs and alternate direction on stem...if that makes sense :)

The leaves are small and appear to be only fuzzy on the bottom.

Here is a close up. None of the leaves exhibit any speckling.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Mel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

Hi Mel,

Well, that is very Hoya-like. How big are the leaves?

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 8:50PM
mel_10(3)

Denise
The largest leaf is the one in the above pic with the quarter. I would say about 1 in wide and 1 in long (maybe a little longer). The leaves are on the thicker side, more succulent than say a carnosa leaf. They also come to a point at the tip.

Mel

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 11:01PM
plantsaremylife_grow(5b)

Nice plant. I think you actually have a lipstick plant- aeschynanthus . Never-the-less if that's what it is, it's still a beautiful plant and will flower probably red! Google lipstick plant to see some awesome images and compare your leaves. I love lipstick plants!
Kyle

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 11:20PM
mdahms1979

Both Hoyas and Aeschynanthus have opposite leaves and look very similar but I also think you probably have an Aeschynanthus vs a Hoya. I own only one Aeschynanthus and that is because at the time I though it might be a Hoya so I took a chance, still a nice plant either way.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschynanthus

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 1:02AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Not positive...but I also think its a Lipstick plant. I had one very similar to yours...Two years ago I accidentally left it outside during a freeze...got down to 25 degrees that night, needless to say it eventually died :o(

Beautiful plant and if it turns out to be a lipstick plant I'm sure you will love it as much. Good luck!

This was taken two years ago...

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:37AM
mel_10(3)

Thanks everyone! I'm a little sad it is not a hoya, but the lipstick plant has it's own charms. I hope mine turns out as pretty as Pug's!!

Mel

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:33AM
greedygh0st

I have a few aeschynanthus. They're lovely and not nearly as temperamental as columneas. And I've also done the is-this-a-Hoya when looking at them in a store, even though I know PERFECTLY WELL that they exist.

Grow it as you would a violet. Prune above the node every 2 nodes to encourage branching and keep it from getting too leggy. This also invites more blooms. You can stick the trimmed bits back into the pot and they root very easily.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 12:12PM
mel_10(3)

Thanks for the advice GG. I am excited to try this new plant, though I'm sure the husband will not be too happy to see another plant added to my collection :)

Mel

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
Signs of life on a peduncle!
I need a bloom it's been a very long time. I'm having...
Liberated
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™