Leaves and light

luvidaho_2010(5/6)April 21, 2012

I was watering my houseplants today and noticed the difference in the color of the leaves on my H. obovata 'Silver Spot'.

One gets very bright light, it lives very close to an East window. It is in bright light for about 3 hours, direct sun for part of that time. The splash on the leaves is pink colored.

The other one gets no direct light and is hanging approximately 8 feet from the same East window. The splash is more green. I realize that those that are more experienced growing hoyas will not be surprised by this difference. I just thought it was kind of cool.

Both plants.

Less light, both leaves from the same plant.

Bright light leaf.

I re-sized the darn pictures in photobucket twice and they still copied huge! Sorry, I guess that is what I get for thinking I had it figured out. LOL

Tami

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Leaves do look especially lush when they are that deep green but that's not what you want if you are looking for blooms. It's interesting to see the differences that light levels can make, the colours that can develop.
The leaves on your plant are pretty impressive. This is one Hoya I don't have because I am afraid to take on any more of these large vigorous species, just not enough room.

Mike

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

Great photographs, Tami. I really enjoyed seeing the differences between your two plants. It's true, it's not a surprise, but it's a very beautiful effect to look at. Both are attractive. I too find it fun to grow the same plant in two different spaces and enjoy the different types of beauty that develop. I just wish there was some way of asking the plants if they feel miffed when they get less light than they were evolved to handle.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Will a hoya cutting grow without the "tip"
Hi just recently acquired some hoya cuttings.. a lacunosa...
bkempress
Hoya Cummingiana 'Little Leaf Bush Hoya'
First of my houseplant hoyas to bloom. It is in the...
bouldergrower
davidcummingii seedlings
I have too many davidcummingii x ? seedlings to keep,...
rennfl
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
What hoya is it? Pleace help ID!
I've got this cutting and I really want to know what...
Yuriyaa
Sponsored Products
Westinghouse 10 in. Polished Brass Detachable Harp 7022200
$4.47 | Home Depot
Hinkley Lighting | Hampton Large 3 Light Pendant Light
$759.00 | YLighting
Outer Space Planet Wooden Shade Pendant Light
ParrotUncle
Structures Pendant
$291.50 | Bellacor
Leucos | Air 60 Ceiling Wall Light
YLighting