Please put me in your will...

denise_gwApril 11, 2014

...if you have either of the Kloppenburg Hoya books. Ok, I'm kidding... kinda... I was looking at them on Amazon.com today. "The Hoya Handbook" starts at $85 for a used copy, about $200 for new. The one with Ann Wayman, paperback, is $125. Really? Why don't they just print more of them and make them reasonable for the average grower to buy? It's not that I need these books, but I'd sure like to have them. **Sigh** Perhaps my ship will come in someday...

Denise in Omaha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

That's pretty typical for academic books. It's just a matter of the publisher needing to recoup their expenses with such a small market demographic.

It would be cool if they were available as ebooks - more economical for everyone - even though "The Hoya Handbook" would be lovely in coffee-table-book-sizes, for sure.

Kloppenburg is very generous about sharing files, so I think they do want to make these resources available to more people. It just might not be feasible using the traditional print medium.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:16AM
greentoe357

We need a book share program. The "book renter" pays a deposit to the book owner, receives the book by mail, then when done mails it back or to the next book renter and gets the deposit back. I guess I am describing a virtual library for books not available at normal libraries. Netflix of sorts, you know, back in the days when they were mailing DVDs around.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 1:50PM
denise_gw

That's a neat idea, GT, but when it comes to these kinds of books, like my C&S books, I want to have it to refer to when I get a species that's new. I know with the internet, you have lots of resources - thank goodness for that! You young'uns are so lucky to have all this information at your fingertips. Back when I started collecting, it was so hard to find ANYthing out there to read about Hoyas, let alone the actual plants... So don't get me wrong - I'm grateful to have the resources I do have!

And thank you, GG, for the little surprise in my e-mail this morning. Bless you, lady!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
semi-hydro compared to gritty mix
EDIT Jan 28, 2015: this is an old thread, but I updated...
greentoe357
Signs of life on a peduncle!
I need a bloom it's been a very long time. I'm having...
Liberated
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™