Process peaches now or wait a week?

bart1(6/7 Northern VA)August 24, 2011

I've been harvesting peaches from my Belle Of Georgia tree for the last couple of weeks. Last week I picked a bunch that were still pretty hard (I wanted to get them before the critters did). Now, a week an a half later, they taste pretty sweet.

The peaches I picked a week after the original picking were much bigger (I was amazed at how much they sized up in their final week), but they were fairly tasteless. They tasted OK, but not nearly as sweet as the ones that spent the last week on my counter. The peaches I just picked were ripe and were getting soft on the tree and some would fall off with just the slightest touch, so I'm pretty sure they were ready to be harvested.

My question is what should I do with them now? Process them now (can or freeze)? Or wait a week or so like I did with my first picking so the flavor improves?

Thanks,

Bart

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

If they're that ripe, a week's wait won't improve them. It's likely they'll just turn to mush.

Ideally a canned peach is firm-ripe. I would be inclined to try freezing over canning because heat processing probably won't improve them. Another option would be a peach jam, where the texture and softness is less of a consideration, or a peach nectar.

Carol

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 2:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

Thanks Carol! Good point!

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™