Too early for mums?

nessz79_10aSeptember 16, 2012

Well, I made the semi-impulsive decision to buy a beautiful display of mums (three plants in one pot, 3 colors). I repotted them when I got home into a slightly bigger pot with some good potting soil (and a *little* sand to fill in the sides when I ran out).

When I was looking up growing mums in Florida, however, it seems that most people recommend waiting to plant them until November in South Florida. I'm in Zone 10a in Southwest Florida. Is there anything I should do to ensure they live into and through the fall season? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Nessz

It is time in my area for mums, they always have them at this time of the year. What I do is leave them in the original container and buy them with the buds still close. They like to be watered often.

Here is one of mine

Silvia

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 3:37PM
nessz79_10a

Beautiful Sylvia! When I transplanted mine, it was definitely rootbound. Do mums prefer to be rootbound? I wonder if I should have left it alone.

Do you keep yours in full sun this time of year? It's still in the 90s with high humidity every day here.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:15PM
whgille(FL 9b)

Nessz, they keep it in the nursery in full sun. I put them in either sun or shade and they do fine as long as I keep them watered.

Silvia

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 6:28PM
nessz79_10a

Ok, thank you :)

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 7:46PM
chellamaral

Wondering if mums are perennial here if planted in the landscape and kept pinched back?

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 11:31AM
rstanny

"Wondering if mums are perennial here if planted in the landscape and kept pinched back?"

I believe the garden-center varieties are best treated as fall-flowering annuals in Florida. And, if I recall correctly, they're best not planted in the same place two years running, due to build-up of root micro-critters. I've had them flower, some, the year after planting (in the spring, I think) but I've never gotten much after that.

I don't know whether they do well downstate, but the large, soft-pink, daisy-flowered, Korean mums do very well up here in Pensacola. I have a three-year-old clump that's still expanding and will flower for, I think, around 6-8 weeks in Oct/Nov.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™