Native plant Identification

countrynest(z9)September 24, 2011

Hi,Everyone.

Can you id this native plant? It has been growing in my yard and seems like it may be,Salvia.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

I gave a quick look in 2 of my books and could not find it. It looks familiar though. I'll look in one other book...good luck on the ID.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 5:01PM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

Monarda punctata?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dotted horsemint?

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 5:17PM
countrynest(z9)

Laura,
thank you for helping.
Lady,thank you. I think you may have ID,my mystery plant.
I'm always in search of native medicinal plants.
Each morning for the last couple of days,I drink a cup of
"Epazote" herbal tea. I keep a jug in the frig. I take it in the morning before eating a serving of fruits. It cleanses my intestines,from bloats,gas and helps my digestive system to lose weight...
Thanks again to both !!!
Felix

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 9:34PM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

You are more than welcome Felix. I have gotten enough tips from you over the years (especially with the tapioca), I'm glad to share back!

Terri

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 10:58PM
countrynest(z9)

Nice to know,I was helpful. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 10:59PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, Felix. I've missed "seeing" you. Hope you and Sylvia are well.

Anna

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 7:57AM
writersblock

Sorry, I don't know what it is, but I don't think that's horsemint. It's not all branchy like that: very tightly centered on stem and the flowers look like little spotted jack in the pulpits, kind of:

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 2:17PM
countrynest(z9)

Writersblock,It certainly does not look like the picture,you posted. Oh,well. :-)
Hi,Anna!!!!!
Thank you. Sylvia and I are doing well. Sylvia is a breast cancer survivor !!
I,often think of you when I see the blue goddess waterlily.
I fell in the fish pond yesterday,cold morning. All of me went under but my head. Thank God,not my head. I went in, to make an adjustment with the connection,of the immersible pump and the pipe that takes the water to the waterfall. It was slightly,dislodged. The floor of the pond was very slippery. I think, I gave the fish a heart attack,ha ha ha. I went straight to the pool,hosed off and jumped into the cold water of the pool. No body saw me.
Remember I use a walking stick,due to my left being weak,from the stroke. I had to crawl out,laughing at myself...

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 8:47PM
imagardener2(9-10)

Hi Felix

Your plant might be "Black Root" Pterocaulon pycnostachyum. I looked it up in a book called Healing Plants: Medicine of the Florida Seminole Indians by Alice Micco Snow and Susan Enns Stans.

It was in my local library and it was so interesting I bought it used on Amazon a while back.

About your plant, the use noted in the book was to prevent a miscarriage of pregnancy. Hope you don't need that :-) and the roots are used not the tops.

Stay safe.

Denise

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 9:26PM
countrynest(z9)

Hi,Denise.
Thanks,but is not that. I do think I found it. It seems like it may be,October Flower - Polygonella polygama. I found it at the site below.
Here's two more recent picictures of the plant.

What do you all,think ?
Felix

Here is a link that might be useful: White Florida Wildflowers

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 10:51PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

Felix, I also use walking sticks. Wonky legs caused by engine compartment dissecting the femurs. Ain't no way you could get me to step into my pond, I'm chicken. I use stools in the garden. One day I needed to work on the bio-falls and my regular stool wouldn't fit in the spot, so I got a sling tripod stool out that I've used at parks. Not even thinking that the pond side was not paved. The stool ever so slowly tilted over and deposited me flat on my back on the ground.

Our dogs finally got hubs attention and he came outside, looked down at me and asked 'What are you doing laying on the ground and laughing?'.

Well, I've just got to laugh at myself. After all, it is pretty hilarious some of the situations I land myself in.

~dianne

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:06PM
countrynest(z9)

We are a mess. HA HA HA

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™