how to divide

emme-dc(7b DC)March 12, 2012

My first hostas are grown up enough, I'm going to be dividing some this spring. I've never done it before, and I'm looking for some really specific advice about how to do it. I just have this idea that you dig up a clump of rooty stuff, and break it apart, and plant the eyes separately. But do I cut it with a knife? Hack it with a spade? Pry with fork? Tear with hands? Make big pieces, small ones? Water first? What else? When I bought these plants, they were potted. So I've never actually seen the underground part of the plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Why do you want to divide your Hosta? The reason I ask is that Hosta do not need to be divided. In fact, when you divide a Hosta you will set it back in terms of its maturation. Many Hosta aren't fully mature until 5 or 6 years of age.

The two reasons for dividing Hosta would be 1. if they have outgrown their space or 2. if you want to propagate them by division. Assuming that one of these is your reason follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to divide and ship Hostas

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 11:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what he said.. and really nice link ...

but i will add some thoughts ...

the ONLY reason to divide [not including sharing] ... is because its too big for the spot.. if its too big.. then you should select one that will fit ... WITHOUT DIVIDING ... and move the too big one somewhere else ..

if you can pull them apart.. as compared to the link ... pull them apart ... if the plant allows such ... if not.. use a knife.. i favor dollar store knives ... one butchers knife for the big works.. and one stout small one for intricate work .... [meaning NOT one that bends] ..

otherwise.. have fun..

ken

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
got pots ...
after a week in the 40s and 50s.. i can finally see...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Hosta Smart Phone App
I think I have my hubby convinced to write me a smart...
thisismelissa
Tri State Hosta Sale
Tri State Hosta Society had a wonderful Sale today...
mbug_gw
Hosta choice - comments please
Thinking about either Humpback Whale or Blue Angel...
mxk3
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Savannah Collection 3-Light Seabrook Ceiling Fan Light P2617-4
$28.81 | Home Depot
Bedford Wall Baskets - Set of 3
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Zaneen | Invisibili 16 Inch LED Step Light
$521.60 | YLighting
Cast Mini Jack by Tom Dixon
$70.00 | Lumens
Charlie Rug 6' x 9' - BEIGE
$2,099.00 | Horchow
61" Berne Double Vanity - Cherry
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™