space between jars in canner

jill2761(Southeast Texas)August 4, 2014

Do you use a divided rack when canning?

I have the plain, flat rack that came with each of my presto canners. When stacking, I use the rack from the other canner.

I have seen the racks that are divided but don't have one. Looks like the canner won't hold as many jars when using those.

I have the Joy of Cooking cookbook, which I use a lot for regular cooking, but for the first time, began perusing the canning section (looking for a jam/jelly/preserves/marmalade recipe with a pear-calamondin combination...if you have one, please share).

I read something that surprised me. It said to have two inches of space between the jars. It says: "Unless you have a jar rack that will securely hold the jars, place a rack in the bottom o the kettle to keep the jars from touching the canner or each other. Leave a 2-inch space between them."

My jars are always closer than that, plus they shift around in the boiling water. Even if they are equally spaced, they end up all clustered together.

Is this a problem? After reading that, I looked in SETP and didn't find any mention of the two inch spacing or how to prevent the jars from touching each other or the sides of the canner during processing.

Jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

No, you don't need 2" of space between jars. As long as they are all sitting flat on the bottom of the rack the rings can even touch lightly. You just don't want any of them tilted or suspended by the ring.

While Joy of Cooking is wonderful, it isn't really a canning guide.

Deanna

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:53AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yeah spacing is predetermined in BWB canning by the lifter rack (if you use one) but otherwise I agree with Deanna that it doesn't matter. NCHFP guidelines don't include such a recommendation.

Consider the source of that info and how many years it has likely been since that cookbook has been over-hauled. :)

Dave

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:06AM
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

Thanks. My Joy of Cooking is the edition that was revised in 2006. No knowledge if the canning section was completely revised to up-to date standards, but a quick glance seemed to indicate they put a big emphasis on safety.

I have never used it for the section on canning, but was looking for a jam combination that has been very elusive everywhere else I've looked. It was only by chance that I came across that statement on the spacing, but it made me curious and I started looking for references to spacing in my "real" canning books.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™