Is this Poison Ivy?

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)September 6, 2013

I have been watching this plant grow for a while and it recently dawned on me that this looks like Poison Ivy to me. Am I correct? It sure is healthy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Shar. No, I don't think it is. Poison ivy is 3 leaves on a stem and the leaves are cut.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No. What you have there appears to be very young Bishop's Wood trees - Bischofia javonica.

Here's a closeup of the leaves:

This post was edited by fawnridge on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 17:59

    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Thanks for the info. When I noticed the three leaves together and that they are shiny, I started to wonder. It is growing in this cherry hedge where I wouldn't have been able to spray it with any weed killer so I am relieved.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Now I am not so sure. This website shows three different leaf structures.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I haven't seen PI for about 30 years. It was a tree crawling vine. I wasn't allergic to it. I played in the woods of upper PA growing up. Not sure if that's why. We didn't know what PI was when we were little. No adults ever went with us. My first husband got mad at me for constantly saying I wasn't allergic to it whenever he got it. He finally had me let him touch a cut,oozing stem of it to my arm. I only had a tiny black burn spot the size of the stem. No rash, no itching. Hard way to prove my point!

    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

You must have a natural immunity to it then. I suppose it's possible to develop an immunity, but I imagine you would have surely hated developing that immunity. I remember there was a small island on the Air Force base I grew up on that we had built a plywood bridge to (eventually the base tore it down, being none too happy with us for building it in the first place. But it turned out that the island had a good bit of poison ivy on it. My brother and I got hit hard by the toxins but my buddy only had a very mild reaction, comparatively speaking. We all learned the benefits of Calamine lotion that summer.

    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I never thought of it that way. Been in the service. I'm sure they were not thrilled at all! Sounds like something I would have done too. We were lucky we had a creek next door to play in.

    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

The worst part was that for my little brother to hang out with my buddy and I on the island, we made him do a lap around the island naked. I imagine that had my mother not been laughing while applying the calamine, I probably would have gotten my butt whooped.

As for the OP's question, it doesn't look like what my memory says Poison Ivy should look like, but you might want to take some in to your extension office for varification. Or just barely brush a leaf across the back of your hand. If your hand itches later, then it's Poison Ivy!

    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 3:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I never got Poison Ivy where I grew up in New England, and we had plenty around the yard and woods. I moved here 4 years ago, and the contractor warned me there was poison ivy along the edge of the property (he had bad rashes on both his legs from it). I didn't pay much attention, as I didn't think I was sensitive to it. I was trimming back the brush in that area, and some had the vine on it. The next day both my forearms and stomach were covered with the most painful rash. Calamine lotion did nothing to relieve it. After a couple days my wife suggested I try Benadry. I took two at bedtime, and woke up in the morning rash free! I was amazed, you could hardly tell where the rash had been. This was probably a different variety of poison ivy, that I had no resistance to.

    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 2:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™