Need help with placement

quinnfyre(z7 PA)May 17, 2010

I feel like others may know how I feel... I'm running out of room. So I'm wondering, what hoyas do you have that grow well and bloom in lower light situations? I'm not talking seriously low light, but perhaps off to the side of a south window? I'm considering putting a shelf on the wall to the right of my window. So it will be sort of diagonal to the window. I have a short bookshelf set up in that corner already, and pubicalyx 'Splash' is there right now, but I can't tell if it likes it there or not. I'm just trying to figure out which ones definitely want to be right up against the window, and which ones are okay a bit further away. I know I saw people mention they're growing hoyas in north windows that actually still bloom. Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw(5)

Quinn,

You can grow about any of them back a bit from a bright window. I grow several in my sunroom, which gets very little direct sun but lots of very bright, reflected light off my close neighbor. (It faces east...) I also grow some in my bedrooms and bathroom with about the same amount of light. They all do well. I'm sure I don't get as many flowers as I would with more sun, but I'm ok with that.

As far as a north window, I've gotten flowers on bella in a north window. I'm sure there are others that will bloom in a north window - I have two Phalenopsis that grow in the same north window and get NO sun at all that bloom profusely for me. I know Phals are the easiest Orchids to bloom, but I figure they surely can't be harder than some of the easier Hoyas, right?

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
davidcummingii seedlings
I have too many davidcummingii x ? seedlings to keep,...
rennfl
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
sweethearth2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™