Keeping cranes away

FarawayFarmer(9a)October 23, 2013

Here in central Florida, we have Sand Hill Cranes year-round, and I find them fascinating. That being said, the other day I watched with dismay as one of them drove its bill into the ground in one of my daylily beds and pulled up a recently planted daylily. I guess it missed the worm or whatever it was looking for. The crane dropped the daylily, and moved on to other things until I chased it out of the yard.

Any suggestions on how to repel birds? So far, my search for bird-repellent products hasn't yielded much of interest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

That is a different sort of problem, John. Do you have a dog? I have to try to keep cats out of my grden, but never cranes, of course.
kay

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:57PM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

Yes, we have an Irish Setter. Unfortunately, the yard isn't fenced, so she's an inside dog.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 9:08AM
marricgardens

From my own experience with cranes, I live on a farm and see them in the back fields, I know that cranes always post a few sentinels to watch for any signs of danger. If they see anything move (here its coyotes or wolves) they sound an alarm and you can see the whole flock take off. Have you considered putting something out there that would move, scaring the cranes away? That might scare them off from landing in the first place.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 9:30AM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

I've thought about that. Actually, I went outside two or three times and shooed them away, but they came back each time. Around here, they seem to have very little fear of humans. Some time later, they'd moved into the field next to the house, and I had to run an errand. Before I did, I drove straight at them fast enough to make them take flight.

I really, really hated to do that because we love to watch them. They're such fascinating creatures.

However, I've got too much time (and money) invested in my daylily beds to allow them to come to harm.

John

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 1:26PM
marricgardens

I think the trick would be to keep them from landing in the first place. Maybe put a remote controlled toy out there and control it from the house? That way you could turn it on when you see the cranes coming in for a landing.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 2:08PM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

Interesting idea, but who has time to stand watch all day? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think the toy would have to somehow be automated. Hmm.....

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 10:18AM
marricgardens

Try for the energizer bunny! LOL

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:18AM
daylilydayzed(9/10 C. FLA.)

Go to a hunting store and get a bow hunting target coyote, bobcat or Florida panther model. Also use sounds of the coyote or panther playing on a tape player.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 11:23PM
jaco42(z5NEOhio)

I see a lot of good Ideas here, and i really like the hunting target, I think the toy or target, whichever you use would be effective if it was hooked to a motion detector, then you wouldn't have to stay outside and watch for them..

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 9:14PM
terrene(5b MA)

Chiming in late, but a commercial property I managed for years was recently sold, and the property inspector found woodpecker holes in the back corner of the building. Apparently a woodpecker would hammer there regularly. The tenant on that corner never told me about it because they actually liked the noise!

Anyway, I had the damage repaired and bought a cheap bird repellent kit at the h/w store. It had a couple brackets with mylar ribbons that blow all around in the wind. It did work to scare the woodpecker away!

Maybe you could put mylar ribbons on some poles? Some people say they've had good luck using pin wheels to scare the critters off.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 3:27PM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

Ribbons and animal statues sound like good solutions. On the other hand, we love to watch the Bluebirds playing in our birdbath, as they often do, sometimes four or five at a time. I need to come up with a solution that will keep the cranes away without disturbing the other species.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:24PM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

I bought a contraption called ScareCrow from Amazon to chase off my hosta digging raccoons. It attaches to a water hose. There's a beam or something that detects larger animals - when the beam is broken, it sends out a strong jet of water. The thing sprays water in a circle for a minute or two and stops. The only problem is you have to leave it hooked up and the water on. Be careful not to soak yourself!

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 3:01AM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

There's a simpler way to keep the Raccoons from digging. It's called Shake Away, which is a small container of granules made from the urine of Coyotes. After our first episode with Raccoons digging up newly planted plants, I invested less than $20 in a container and we sprinkled it on the beds. Works like a charm. Those pesky critters recognize the scent of a predator and stay the heck away.

I found it at a local feed/fertilizer store, but it's also available on Amazon.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
Voles and Snow Cover
With the great weather today I did some cleanup in...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Time for desirable "D" daylilies!
Time to dig in the files for your "D"s! Lets...
sherrygirl zone5
Aphids on daylilies
What do you do about aphids on your daylilies? I don't...
ruthz
Rice Daylilies
I've grown quite a few of the daylilies hybridized...
Julia NY
Sponsored Products
Brella Chrome One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Bicolor Orange and Pina Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
Westdale White Solar LED Security Light
$46.91 | Lamps Plus
Barcelona Shag Rug
$390.99 | Dot & Bo
Beechwood Bath Brush with Removable Handle
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Sunpentown SC-1201P 6 Cup Rice Cooker - SC-1201P
$55.88 | Hayneedle