Do you have fruit split ?

gatormomx2(9a)September 7, 2008

Due to the prolonged drought followed by record rainfall , many of my citrus fruits are splitting . It is particularly prevalent on the Minneola Tangelos - formerly known as Honeybells . Found more fruit split on an orange tree today .

Anyone else noticing this ? Is it just on citrus or have you seen it on other fruit trees ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saintpfla

Yes, I have had the same problem with my orange and grapefruit. Also, it seems I am having a lot more 'fruit drop' on my grapefruit than normal.

I also lost a lot of new growth leaves during the drought on my orange tree. No leaves have grown back and it's now just 'dead wood'.

I don't think I will have much fruit to enjoy this year.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 4:31PM
happy_fl_gardener

I haven't had any trouble with my various citrus splitting. The only thing that I noticed is that for a while the excess rains weakened the flavor of my ripening persimmons. They seemed to have returned to normal sugar content again.

I understand that particular varieties of citrus are much more prone to splitting than others. Also, I have an irrigation system so I do keep my plants evenly moist.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 5:16PM
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

Yeppers, many of mine are splitting too. The Calamondin has end-rot, on many fruits, from the high humidity.

My citrus are on their own during drought seasons, since I cannot water 50 trees by hand and we are still under watering restrictions.

My oldest Meyer Lemon tree looks awful. So many fruits that the branches are all arched downward. All you can see of this normally 10' tree is bare limbs arching down, with fruits nearly on the ground.

My Navel Oranges, and Satsumas look great though, and the Lime trees are producing like mad!

Lisa

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 8:35PM
gatormomx2(9a)

I have had the same luck with my Persian lime - good production and no fruit split . Other citrus have much less crop than last season . One thing surprised me - I have had almost no fruit drop on any trees - yet .

From U of F :
During winter, moderate drought stress can be beneficial because drought can increase flower induction. In addition, appropriately controlled drought stress may be of use to manipulate root and shoot growth to favor fruit growth and yield.

Unfortunately , our recent drought was not during the winter . We'll see what this coming season brings . Better quality fruit or watery tasteless citrus ??

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Tree Stresses

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 7:42AM
jollyjp

No splitting, but my Persian Lime is dropping fruit like crazy. Mineola Tangelo is loaded like never before-doing good.
Meyer Lemon has a few,no dropping or splitting.
Blood Orange has 1 fruit-so far so good. Sunburst Tangarine is also loaded & doing good. I water with a hose occasionally-more when we go awhile without rain. Otherwise, I basically don't do anything special.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™