War is just like a video game

Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)January 22, 2013

A video game to this royalty.

Taliban leaders have fired back at Prince Harry over the royal's comments that piloting a helicopter in Afghanistan�where he says he killed insurgents during his recent tour of duty�is like playing a video game.

Harry, who co-piloted an Apache helicopter during his 20-week tour, made the comparison in an interview broadcast by the BBC Monday night.

"It�s a joy for me because I�m one of those people who loves playing PlayStation and Xbox," the 28-year-old said. "So with my thumbs I like to think I�m probably quite useful."

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful thumbs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

So training as a child on violent video games, developing excellent, fast eye/hand coordination, is a useful skill needed by today's military.

And the NRA wants to ban violent video games.

"Why" is the question we all should be asking, here.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 2:50PM
esh_ga

I think he must've been funning.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 3:39PM
chase_gw

Harry doesn't have to serve, but he does, just like your son Brush.

How many of the rich and privileged actually serve in harms way? He deserves...like any soldier, our thanks not our criticism.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 3:53PM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

It's a context thing.

He had been talking about how he was never really good at school, exams were a nightmare for him and he had to repeat a year at prep school in order to qualify for Eton. He did not do very well there.

By contrast to school, flying is a joy for him and he excelled in his helicopter training... which he put down to all his X-Box and Playstation time.

The Taliban immediately picked up on that one sentence and made it look like Harry thinks war is a game.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

Chase,

I already know that he doesn't have to serve. He is doing it because he wants to do his part to serve his country. I get that!

However, there is still a reason to be sympathetic to others when mentioning that killing them is like playing a video game.

I get that he's royalty, and you as a Canadian are inclined to dismiss his comment. But I don't believe any representative of countries can afford to dismiss the tragedy of others, who happen to be fighting for what they believe is their right to defend their culture and country.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:39PM
jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)

Apart from which - he was playing the FIFA Football game, which I guess some may consider violent.

I thought it was a very good documentary interview. I admit to a slight bias, as he is a serving officer in my old regiment, and first served with them on the ground in forward operating bases in 2007 and had to be withdrawn after his identity was leaked. He was only allowed back in the war zone as a pilot operating out of the (relative) safety of Camp Bastion.

Good publicity for both the Taliban and the Afghan "government", unfortunately.

Best wishes
Jon

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:47PM
jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)

I hope you enjoyed the BBC interview, brush - good to know you wouldn't just post a headline without watching the source.

Best wishes
Jon

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:49PM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

mentioning that killing them is like playing a video game.

Brush, are you certain he said that killing is just like playing a video game?

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:53PM
chase_gw

"I get that he's royalty, and you as a Canadian are inclined to dismiss his comment.�"

Brush with the amount of time you spend in Canada I would expect you to know that there is no homogeneous "Canadian" affinity for the Royal family. They are loved, admired, loathed, dismissed or ignored equally.

I happen to not have very much respect for Harry or his father but I do for his brother , his SIL, and most assuredly his Grandmother.

I just feel his comments are being taken our of context and used, once again by the "press" to sell papers.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 5:35PM
Pidge

Harry is not the sharpest tack in the royal box. He's the one who showed up a party in a Nazi uniform and who was photographed naked in a Las Vegas hotel with "ladies of the evening." I think he's an okay guy--willing to run into any situation with which he is faced--but he does make bad judgments more often than he should.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 6:54PM
Pidge

May I add that I second Chase's comments about respect for William, Kate, and certainly Queen Elizabeth !!--she totally rocks. I loved when she was portrayed floating down into the Olympic opener.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 6:57PM
TxanGoddess

Without entirely dismissing that what he said was very inappropriate, I really think Harry suffers from hereditary foot-in-mouth disease.

Prince Philip is what, 90 something? And yet I bet he is still capable of saying similarly do do brained stuff right up to this very day. At least with Harry, there is hope he may mature into some greater level of discrimination and discretion in how he expresses himself.

Fortunately, William seems to have inheirited his parents more shy nature, and not his grandfather's awkward gregariousness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prince Philip Top Ten Gaffes

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 11:08PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

The British press is also panning the prince, with one newspaper calling him a royal misfit, and another telling Harry to muzzle himself, guard his tongue and learn how to speak more like royalty.

Can't they take his joking and just laugh it off like a few others?

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
John McCain: "I’m Ashamed Of My Country "
Sen. John McCain said: “I’m ashamed of my country,...
dublinbay z6 (KS)
Bill O'Reilly's ongoing lie
Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem "*...
momj47
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
Duck Dynasty and Free Speech Award
CPAC is a clown show.I was watching TV today and while...
Pidge
That Trip to Isreal
he trip was organized by the American Renewal Project,...
labrea_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™