can you can eggplant?

kterlep(5/6)August 8, 2007

Hi!

Alert: My freezers are FULL!!!!

My friend is trying to pawn off his extra eggplants. :)

Something I really like is called Baba Ganooj. You grill eggplant (whole with garlic cloves stuffed in slits) for about a half hour, then scrape off the charred skin and puree them in the food processor.

I was wondering if at this point in the recipe the eggplant could be pressure canned. if so, for how long?

The other ingredients, also thrown in the food processor, are lemon juice, tahini, raw onion and some spices. Tahini is obviously not OK for pressure cooking because it's about 60% fat (it's sesame butter)...so I was hoping the eggplant could be pressure canned prior to the adding of Tahini. You could put some lemon juice in the eggplant if it would help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

Eggplant is not recommended for canning. It "collapses" and the density is too great, like puréed pumpkin.

There are recipes online, but they are not reliable.

Pickled eggplant can be processed, but not plain.

Carol

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 12:28AM
kokopup

What is the problem with canning pureed pumpkin? Is there a food safety issue?

Every Fall I make a point of going to the church bazaar to pick up a couple of jars of canned pumpkin from our local canning legend. It makes the best pie! Much better than store bought.

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 9:15AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Pumpkin is the same as eggplant. There's a density issue which makes heat penetration very difficult. Also, more recent tests have shown that the moisture content and pH for pumpkin are all over the place, making it almost impossible to come up with a consistently safe processing time. That's true for pumpkin butter as well.

Home-grown pumpkin is excellent, but the only safe options are freezing the puree or canning chunks, which can be pureed after opening.

I wouldn't want to take the risks that lady does. It sounds like she hasn't kept up with changes in canning recommendations.

Carol

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:11AM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

There are a few recipes that contain eggplant for canning, such as one for antipasto from Ball. Also, Ellie Topps in the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving has several recipes containing eggplant.

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Loquat jam bwb
These recipes I am looking at don't talk about boiling...
tim45z10
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
What are Lime Pickles
I found this recipe in Southern Living, which basically...
gardengrl
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Sponsored Products
Stilo Bronze Three-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Round Canopy and Co
$477.00 | Bellacor
Kraus C-GV-103-12mm-1002 Clear Brown Glass Vessel Sink and Sheven Faucet - C-GV-
$219.95 | Hayneedle
9'' x 12'' Canvas Panel - Set of Six
$8.99 | zulily
Chouchin 3 Pendant
Lightology
Vinyl Samples: TrafficMASTER Allure Flooring Cordoba Resilient Vinyl Tile
$8.85 | Home Depot
Mora Sofa - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
DENY Designs Happee Monkee All You Need Is Love 1 Outdoor Throw Pillow Multicolo
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Montreal Burnt Sienna Four-Light Fluorescent Wall Mounted Bath Fixture
$224.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™