Question about Great Expectations

indymom76(5)April 14, 2012

Hi everyone-I have a GE hosta that is now three years old and still has one eye. :( I've waited patiently for my sleep and creep years and thought I would have seen a lot more growth from this hosta this year instead of the same one eye. I have this hosta planted under partial shade-it doesn't ever get direct sunlight-only dappled. Is GE just a REALLY slow grower or should I consider choosing a different spot for it? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Yes it is slow grower and yes you should consider a different spot for it. Unfortunately moving it will set it back, but it needs to be done. All medio variegated Hosta are tricky to grow, but particularly GE. I think it needs 4 hours of morning sun and all the water you can give it. I have mine in morning sun and right by an area where a roof drain enters the garden.

Steve

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 8:00AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

with all the white.. it needs some sun ... but not in the hot of the day ....

and on this one.. 7 to 10 years to maturity.. reset on transplant ...

and.. one of the most complained about.. lack of vigor.. plants there is in the hosta world [and frankly.. one of my most hated as i have tried and failed.. on at least TEN!!! of them] ...

there are perhaps.. 3 people in this forum.. who can grow it to perfection.. maybe only two ...

my best advice.. GET RID OF IT .. if space is at a premium ...

ken

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 8:55AM
CindyCRNA(6a)

I received 2 of them last year as a freebee with 2 separate hosta orders. Mine are tiny little TC's but I will give them this, they came back. They are tiny.....I mean 2-3", but are so pretty with their yellow twisted leaves. I guess time will tell but I usually invest in moderate growth rate hostas as I am impatient but still get sucked in by the gorgeous pics of GE.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:30AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I lost the first one of mine,but my present one is growing fine in morning sun;then in the afternoon,it goes into shade past noon. I think that's where it will stay;it seems to like it there. Phil

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:02PM
indymom76(5)

Thanks everyone-I'll take this into consideration-I thought I remembered it was a slow grower and ken I might just put it in time out-I've got some room to play with but since it's being stubborn, I'll move it and put something that likes that area better! I guess I should be happy mine has lasted this long! Steve-I may have a good place for it out in my backyard so I'll probably move it there.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 2:36PM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

I am going to post a few pics of mine on my SPRING WALK THRU PICTURES...I thought I had better take pics with the weather being so ugly today...

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 6:12PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

I have GE growing in a pot and one in the ground. The one that grows in the pot is my favorite. Here's a picture of it today:

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Designer Genes
We still have 2 feet of snow cover here, although it...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
HOSTAS FOR UNDER TREE IN LOUISIANA (B.R.)
This will be my first year planting hostas so you could...
bcurry1
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
donrawson
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Fairfield Life Style
Home Depot
LED 1000 lm 5" Metal Dedicated Diamond Reflector Trim
Lamps Plus
Moment of Reflection Art Print
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Red 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
AICO Furniture - After Eight Upholstered Dresser in Titanium -...
Great Furniture Deal
License Plated Fish Decor
| Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Fairfield Life Style
Home Depot
AICO Furniture - After Eight Upholstered Chest in Titanium - 19070-16
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™