Used jars, help!

growinidahoAugust 18, 2011

I was just blessed with about 10 or 12 boxes of jars. Mostly quarts. I don't use quarts...this is my 2nd yr of canning and I already have quarts and have access to more if I need them.

Problem is that 1/2 of the quarts have pickled asparagus and dills in them. Seals are good and date is '03 to '08. What should I do with them? We have a septic tank and no disposal. Should I trash them or we could bury them on our property. Compost them?

My neighbors will want the quarts, they have a family of 5 and always have company. I want to give them clean jars. What is the best/safest way to clean used jars? I don't have a dish washer.

Thanks for your help!

Sherri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I think you'll find your questions answered in this discussion a bit further down the page. Be sure to review the link provided in it to the info on disposal at NCHFP.

Cleaning is hot soapy water followed by boiling for 10 mins.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Disposing of old food discussion

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 11:47PM
annie1992

Sherry, I'd compost the stuff, if it's pickled there's a good chance it's fine, if the asparagus was not pickled, I'd be a bit more wary, probably. Then, as Dave mentioned, wash jars in hot soapy water (I put mine in the dishwasher, and boil to sterilize.

Annie

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 3:59PM
growinidaho

Thank you Dave and Annie! Annie, I LOVE your salsa!!! I was just thinking about it. I may have to use frozen peppers. Since they are soft when you chop them then it would take more than the fresh about. That makes the amount of peppers off. Should I just use less than whats called for in the recipe? This will be my 2nd yr to can.
Thank you!
Sherri

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
habanero gold question?
All the directions for habanero gold jelly call for...
jadeite
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™