Devil's Advocate

santamiller(8b TX)April 20, 2014

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. It's one of the few I have seen that actually shows tolerance through zone 9, so I'm optimistic that it do well for me here in San Antonio. The edges are starting to show some color change.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkay2000(8a TX)

I had to look that one up. Great looking plant,

bk

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 8:13AM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

Bought one yesterday and am hoping for good things. Right now it looks like a plain green hosta, so most people aren't giving it a second look.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 8:36AM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

I have that one. It's still emerging right now. Hopefully, I can grab some pics, soon. It has a different coloration than most, very subtle. Nice choice!

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 8:37AM
tepelus z6a SW MI

I bought mine a few years ago. Can't wait to see how it will look this year. Here's a pic from last year.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:05AM
santamiller(8b TX)

Beautiful plant, tepelus. How wide is that?

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 10:03AM
tepelus z6a SW MI

I don't really remember. Probably between 2-3 feet wide.

Karen

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 11:32AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Santa, I do not have Devil's Advocate. In your plant I thought it was a plain one color, and took a second look after Tepelus posted hers with obvious different margin color. Nice!

In case you are seeking some blue ones which could fare well in San Antonio, I'll show some of my blue hosta in a group shot. If you notice anything that strikes your fancy, and it is not identified, I'll see about a name for you, and separate shots....but we can do that on a different thread if you like. Don't want to divert your Devil's Advocate discussion.

In our higher zone 9a, look for the ones with heavy substance and the blue color you like.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 1:39PM
don_in_colorado

'Devil's Advocate' looks pretty cool. The variegation reminds me of 'Dark Shadows' on the right in pic.

Don B.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:12PM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

Holy Hosta, Don! That wouldn't be 'Victory' to the left, would it? No, I must be way off...it begs to be identified..please?

I'm not keen on having another devil in my garden...one is enough (Lucifer Crocosmia) lol.....that's why I'm after Dark Shadows.

BUT, I have to acknowledge that DA takes my breath away - quite beautiful in both pictures, Santa and Karen. Hmmmm...

Mocc, I don't recall as you showcase your blues as much, but those look very pretty, soft and calming...I imagine they evoke a "cooling" of the senses in the intense heat of summer, while one's eye strays to them...even if they lose some of the blue.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:01PM
don_in_colorado

Ah, Jo, that's 'Gone with the Wind'. The ruffled edges on it are just insane, so pronounced. I bought GWTW last year from Hallson Gardens, and Chris threw in 'Dark Shadows' as a gift. Pretty cool, eh?

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 15:24

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:21PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Devil's Advocate is the most exciting bonus plant I've ever received...also courtesy of the good folks at Hallson's. I had added it and removed it from my order several times as I dithered over how to allocate my birthday hosta fund. In the end it was left out, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find it!

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:28PM
santamiller(8b TX)

moccâ¦â¦very nice selection you have. The blues that I have now are Wishing Well, two Drinking Gourds and just got a Fragrant Blue from Hallson last week. The Drinking Gourds I've had for 2 years and have both done great. One is potted and one is in the ground, the only hosta I have in the ground except for the Wishing Well, which I picked up two weeks ago. I attached a link in case you have not seen this one before.

All of what you have look great, so please feel free to suggest anything at all and I'll add them to my list. I very much appreciate your advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wishing Well

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:28PM
santamiller(8b TX)

Donâ¦..I had not seen a hosta with ruffled edges before. That's super looking.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:31PM
don_in_colorado

Glad you like it, Santamiller. Stick around a while, and you'll see LOTS of ruffle-edged hostas. : )

Don B.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:35PM
santamiller(8b TX)

I'll be here. I'm an official addict.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:44PM

Cool it is, Don! Lucky you...and you collect a lot of real lookers! This is definitely going to be an exciting "leap" year for many of us as our 3-yr. olds emerge...not that all will achieve maturity but they will start to take on more characteristics of maturity.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 8:20PM

I have Wishing Well, santamiller. It is my favorite blue and my bluest blue! You're gonna love, love it! Here's a pic from last year:

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:23PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Funn, love the way you set off the blue tones of Wishing Well with the chartreuse companions. It is a beauty .

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 1:56AM
santamiller(8b TX)

Beautifully done! It really does bring out the color by using the green contrast.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:23AM

Thanks, guys. Here's Wishing Well's pic today, just starting to unfurl. Can't wait to see her in all her glory:

And here's Devil's Advocate today, just waking up, too.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™