Feeling a little stupid right now

onederwOctober 7, 2012

I ordered some Stella D'Oros and some Siloam Double Classics, which showed up here in the dreadful heat of August (which kept going right through September). Not wanting to plant them in the 100+ degree heat, I heeled them into pots and put them in the shade. They look great, very healthy, but I guess the heat must have gotten to me, because I forgot to label which was which. (I know, I know.)

I'm thinking that in theory, the Stellas are shorter than the Siloams, so their leaves should be narrower and smaller, right? (And in theory, bumblebees can't fly.) Any help you can give me about how to tell the two apart would be most appreciated.

Kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katlynn719(8b)

Kay, SDC has a broader leaf than Stella. But I'm afraid you can't be absolutely certain until next spring when they bloom. Best of luck -
Kathy

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 3:10PM
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Don't feel stupid Kay just because you are a little forgetful!

If you hung out with me for one day I promise you'd go your way feeling like Einstein!

I just planted S.D.C. so I can't help you, sorry. There are a lot of growers on here that can probably help. Floota for one has a lot of knowledge, if she sees this maybe she can help.

Rena'

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 4:25PM
shive(6b TN)

Siloam Double Classic has wider leaves and and taller fans than Stella d'Oro when mature.

Debra

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 7:49PM
onederw

Thanks, Debra! That's probably enough to let me tell them apart. It's a huge relief knowing that I'll not see golden yellow where I was expecting peachy pink.

Kay

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 10:06AM
lisa_3(5)

Haven't we all done something similar? This spring, I dug up half of two plants to take to a sale. I was distracted by something for a few minutes, wrote a quick label, and moved them around a bit while digging a few more. When I later went to divide the half clumps, I found that I had tagged the two as the same flower. One was a tall orange double-one was a small white non double. If I hadn't clipped them when I dug them, I would have been able to tell them apart by the length of the leaves, but I had. I had to replant them and wait for one to bloom so I could relabel them for next year's sale.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:36PM
nat4b(4)

I haven't done something like that, YET. But this year I got some dls with labels not attached to the fans. There was no way to tell which is which, so I planted them and made the labels. I hope they overwinter and flower, and then it will be fun to see if I guessed the names correctly :)

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 1:12AM
organic_kitten(8)

As you know, I blame this kind of thing on garden gnomes.
kay

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Siloam Daylilies ID
OK all you Siloam daylily experts. I have 3 daylilies...
swontgirl_z5a
Best deer repellant?
I'm fairly new at daylillies, and I know that the deer...
bigack
Daylily Grab Bag
I found a plant sale given by our local Daylily Society....
srks72
I need help on plant choice for a narrow strip walkway 1' X 40'
I live in Southern California beach area. Currently...
anna
Pauline Henry daylilies
I was brousing a couple of daylily sites the other...
Maryl zone 7a
Sponsored Products
28" Infinite Reversible 70/30 Offset Double-Bowl Stainless Steel Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
True Modern | George Corner Sectional Sofa with Bumper
YLiving.com
You're My Only Hope Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$59.99 | zulily
Bougainvillea tablecloth (green/red)
Origin Crafts
Area Rug: Optimum Tradition Beige/Taupe 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Black Forest Harvest Bronze Medium Flush Mount Ceiling Light
$166.00 | Bellacor
Slither Dining Side Chair Set of 4 in Red