Gesila, is that Tattoo in your temporary bed?

tomahawkclaimApril 6, 2012

You posted a pic in the minuteman/patriot thread. There's a hosta with a watermark in the upper right corner. Is it Tattoo? If not, what? I want it!! But I've heard terrible things about Tattoo. Nance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gesila(MI Z5)

Yes Nance, that is Tattoo. I heard the same about it, but not till after I bought it. It's already up with two eyes. I had it covered last night, am hoping that it didn't suffer from the freeze.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 10:21AM
tepelus(6a SW MI)

I bought a piece of Tattoo from a lady from her plant that had been growing really well, planted it in a spot that was moist, not wet, with some sun but nothing scorching. Dang thing rotted over the winter. The spot must have been wetter than I thought, and we had a lot of snow that year which got piled on where Tattoo was growing from shoveling the patio. I think the key to keeping this fussy hosta alive is to not let it sit somewhere wet during the winter. If I ever try it again, it'll remain in a pot where I can keep it dry in the winter.

Karen

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 4:33PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Nance, I added Tattoo last year as a 3 eye piece off a mature plant - looks like will have 10 eyes (yowsers) for this year and another 2-3 small dormant eyes for future....very excited to see this one leaf out. I'm sure it helped to get divisions off one that was growing well. Only second year, so I guess we'll see in a few years how it does. The area along the deck gets bright shade and I watered by hand pretty often for 1st year (last year we got good rainfall for most of the spring/summer as well). I am also trying Eskimo Pie and Peppermint Ice in similar lighting - so far so good.

Paul

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:22PM
CindyCRNA(6a)

Ok, I have been eyeballing Tattoo and recognize it is difficult at best for some to grow. But if you happen to get a vigorous one, it is well worth it. I may give it a try. Does it like more sun?

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:10AM
franknjim

I have my Tattoo planted in a spot that would give Ken nightmares.

My Tattoo is planted under a 3' Japanese Maple that is planted under a 12' Eastern Redbud that is planted under a 50' Silver Maple! It is on it's third year now. Was a small single eye when I got it. I think it has 3 or 4 eyes now. I guess you could say that mine is in heavy shade with no morning sun. It gets a lot of water.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:39AM
CindyCRNA(6a)

So Franknjim, yours is "triple layered" in the shade?!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 1:12PM
cindyj(5b)

Mine gets bright light all day and about 2 hours of early afternoon sun. It isn't located exactly where I would prefer but it is doing relatively well so I'm leaving it.
Cj

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
What's looking good in your garden this week?
I'm afraid I'll miss the pipping going on in my hosta...
Moccasin
donrawson
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
Who's going to the Annual AHS convention in Raleigh?
I live about an hour and a half west of Raleigh. Anybody...
zkathy
Sponsored Products
Ambella Home Collection - Castilian King Bed - 17525-200-084
Great Furniture Deal
Miss Aardvark Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Taiji Outdoor Patio Daybed in Espresso Peridot
$889.00 | LexMod
King Diamond-Trellis Duvet Cover 108" x 95" - GOLD
$1,795.00 | Horchow
Chambray Full and Queen Quilt Set
$136.95 | Bellacor