Plant greed - must resist

anniegolden(z7a)April 23, 2012

Oh no. You all just had to go and mention Hallsons so much that I jjust had to go look for myself. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do not add anything to your cart. I'm doomed.

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

You aren't looking for support here, are you? We'll give you support! Need the names of a few more vendors? How about some more hosta pictures? I know! Subscribe to the yahoo group, hostapix and get to talk one on one with all the major hybridizers! Oh yeah and the AHS facebook page! Bwahahahahaha!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:24AM
trudy_gw

To further your addiction start hybridizing and growing your own hosta seed. You will enjoy making your own seedlings and coming up with your own creations!

For more ideas and to see seedling photos others have created Log In to the Hostaseedgrowers forum.

What a fun addiction the Hosta is!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hostaseedgrowers forum

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:33AM
anniegolden(z7a)

Bwahaha back atcha.

I think they need to redo the wording.
Old wording: 'Here's a link that might be useful'
New wording choices: 'Here's a link that might be enabling'
or 'Here's a link that will put you in the poorhouse.
or 'Here's a link that will deprive you of sleep'
or 'Here's a link that will have you contemplating knocking down the garage because there is no more room in your yard for anything.'

At Hallsons it was actually the astilbe that pushed me over the edge. I can't live without that really tall purple one. Oh, and then there's that flourescent hot pink creation. Oh, and the hosta with red stems and fragrant white flowers...

Christine

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:37AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Here's a link to make you realize we're just starting-

Paul

and more from the same as below.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Enabling, poorhouse, sleep deprivation, make more room for Hostas link

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:28PM
anniegolden(z7a)

N O R O O M.
N O M O N E Y.
N O S L E E P.

no willpower

Beautiful pictures. I especially like panoramic shots. I was resisting nicely until Blue Without You drifted by.

Christine

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:56PM
Johnsp(6b)

Oh and Christine don't pass up taking a look at the live auction in the Hostalibrary.org plus you have to visit the FOOSF website which stands for Faternal Order of Seedy Fellows. Numerous breeders show their creations you won't find most anywhere BUT you can email them to find out what their selling and the price. Who doesn't want that gorgeous rare hosta that few others have. You never know you just might get a bargain. Case in point I'm picking up H. Gunther's Prize this Friday for just $30.00.

Scott

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 2:09PM
anniegolden(z7a)

go away

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 2:26PM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

You need a Captian Kirk. Paula

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 6:38PM
trudy_gw

Hosta Seed Growers forum is having an auction on Hosta Library.org May 5-12..... I am thinking is the date.

Have a feeling there could be a few one of kind seedlings up for auction!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 6:57PM
anniegolden(z7a)

watermelon, watermelon, watermelon, watermelon (holding hands over ears) (Just so you don't think I'm nuts, this is what we used to do to avoid hearing our mother - hold hands over ears and say 'watermelon' over and overr.
Christine

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:19PM
bernd ny zone5(5)

Trudy is one of the main hosta seedlings growers at the Hosta Seed Growers forum. Thanks Trudy for your seeds you had sent me! I got some nice streaked seedlings coming up from your seeds, too small yet for good pictures, I enjoy them!

Most of my seedlings are from open pollinated seeds which anybody here can do, they have been 'hybridized' by bees. It lets me continue gardening in Winter.
Bernd

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 9:50AM
jan_on zone 5b

Christine -- you should just sign off the forum and never check in here again (haha) OR admit that your new habit is stimulating the economy and not hurting anyone and keeping you "off the streets and out of trouble" All good things, right??!!!(And digging is great aerobic exercise.)
Jan

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 11:41AM
trudy_gw

Thanks for the kind words on the seeds, Bernd! Always fun to watch the seedlings mature as they change over the years.

Hosta seed growing is a great way to get your hands dirty in the winter. Does not really take all that much equipment to get started.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:03PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Resistance Is Futile.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:52PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Yeah, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Just go with it, enjoy your trip to the poorhouse. You'll have lots of company. :)

My DH is now wondering about HOW MANY, and the boy can count. I give him a figure, and say that's the total counting ALL I've ordered including those not yet shipped. So that when the next order is delivered, I tell him it was in the total I gave earlier. Hmmmm, well now he says he will soon need a MACHETE to get close to the house. So, I show him the picture of the hosta MACHETE, and ask if he wants me to get it specially for him.

Life is good in the garden. :)

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 5:21PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

From Master Yoda-

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Do not fear the hosta greed.

Paul

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 5:24PM
jan_on zone 5b

In her latest book American author Anna Quindlen says "A safety net of small white lies can be the bedrock of a successful marriage. You wouldn't believe how cheaply I can do a kitchen renovation." I wonder if she grows hostas?
Jan

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 6:59PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Jan, she must throw away the receipts too. Cheap and renovation are never in the same sentence with kitchen.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 7:09PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Local gardening author refers to it as "Plant Lust" which I like better than greed.. ;) I would rather be lusty than greedy. I think. ;)

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 1:32PM
bernd ny zone5(5)

In the financial forum I read the contributors always write to live under your means to be financially secure. But they should write that to be happy is more important, which means you must buy hostas anyway.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™