Tomato mistake, please help.

harvestingfilth(6-6B)September 27, 2011

I just canned 7 pints of crushed tomatoes. I have no recollection of whether I put the citric acid in the last 3 jars, (ugh). Can I safely refrigerate the batch and use them over a period of time (if so, how long?). Or would I have to freeze them?

Or should I open them all and re-process with new citric acid? Will they be edible if they end up with double the acid, or will they be too sour to eat?

What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

You can re-process if it's within 24 hours or you can refrigerate. I have no idea how long, but in a sealed jar, it should be a while. Freezing, obviously, assures optimal longevity.

There will be some change in flavor from the acid, though it's hard to say how great the change will be. However, you could add citric acid and taste tomatoes from one jar before processing. If the flavor change is really pronounced you may prefer to skip it or reserve those jars for use in a highly flavored soup or stew where it's less noticeable.

Carol

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 2:15AM
harvestingfilth(6-6B)

Thanks so much Carol. Do you think I can just open them, add the acid, put new lids on and bwb them? Or do I have to dump the contents into my pot and reheat, then start over?

If it's too much work, I think I am leaning toward dumping into freezer bags.

The sad thing is that I know I did 4 jars right, and most likely did the rest--I just cannot recall whether I did it or not. Lesson learned: Don't do things in the middle of the night when you're too tired. :(

Carrie

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 7:40AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Reprocessing means back into the pot and reheat, clean jars and new lids. Not just opening the jars. They have to be hot when going into the canner.

Personally I'd just freeze them. Better taste and quality that way.

Dave

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:43AM
pqtex

I would freeze them. I have definitely noticed the citric acid in my canned tomatoes so adding more citric acid to jars that might already have it would be too much, I think. This would also be the quickest, easiest way to deal with the problem. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:44AM
harvestingfilth(6-6B)

Thank you very much. I've been waiting for replies! I will be freezing it. I've spent too much effort already to then find out I have sour tomato sauce in February. That would be too depressing.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
storing leeks
This has been our second year vegetable gardening....
marricgardens
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Sponsored Products
Garner Bar Stool in White
$149.00 | LexMod
Self Adhesive Address Numbers
Signature Hardware
Area Rug: Portrait Funhouse Multi 5' x 7' 3"
$49.97 | Home Depot
3Form Brushed Nickel Four-Light Fluorescent 16-Inch Round Clips Wall Sconce with
$495.95 | Bellacor
Cohesion 11 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Red
$2,399.00 | LexMod
GG Collection Ogee-G Small Metal Picture Frame
Classic Hostess
Rusty 70 Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$738.00 | Lumens
Black Jagged Stripes 7 1/2" Wide Brushed Steel Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™