Anyone See Any Hummingbirds In SW Florida Yet?

brute(Florida 9B)September 7, 2011

Do they migrate through southwest Florida in the fall? I had a couple coming around the feeder last May, but they disappeared and the ants and bees became such a nuisance that I brought the feeder in.

Should I put it back out now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wallisadi

ditch the feeder, look up plants that attract them in your area....no feeders here and we have a bunch.....

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 7:28PM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

I've had a female on the firebush for the past couple weeks. (Bradenton)

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:15PM
jupiterplants(10/A)

Yes , in Jupiter on 9/2

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 2:50PM
starryrider(9)

In Deland this week.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 3:13PM
babalu_aye(zone 9b - St Pete FL)

I saw a male last weekend on a firebush in my yard here in St Pete. First time I've ever seen one here.

John

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 5:39PM
sis3

I have had a female hummer in my front garden all summer, in fact I see her now from my desk! She appears to be feeding from the Mexican Petunias at the moment but it may be that she is actually on the Coral Honeysuckle behind the Petunias! Last night at dusk she was attempting to fly in through our pool screen! It may be wishful thinking but I think I have spotted a tiny hummer once or twice in my garden too - is this the right time for babies?

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 2:15PM
brute(Florida 9B)

WhooHoo!
I hung up the feeder this morning and a female Ruby-Throated has appeared three times, the latest visit just a few seconds ago.
Let the season begin!

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 4:13PM
rkwhyte

Yes - I have them, but only from Mid-august to late September. I am in Tampa, FL. Snapped a photo of one on my red fire spiker in link below. Great shot, very lucky. Big file, might take a minute or two to load. Enjoy!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 7:58PM
BusyBeeSuz

I have lived in Naples for 15 years, and I saw my very first hummer today. It was feeding on my firecracker plant!!!!

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 2:59PM
teka2rjleffel(z10FL)

BusyBeeSuz,
I was in the same boat. We lived here for 8 years and I never saw one. I tried a feeder but as Brute said the feeder got to be a mess. Three years ago I saw one on my firebush. Now I see them on there for months at a time. I only see one at a time though. I'm not sure if it is the same one or different ones. A friend in NY had 3 feeders out and would have several feeding at once.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 5:38PM
keiki(10 FL)

I have hummers this fall. Only once before have I saw one in the 10 years I have been here. They are fun to watch but I only see them at dusk when it is harder to see them.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 9:44AM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

I saw my first one ever a month or two ago, then saw another last weekend. In north Florida saw lots but never south. Till now. Heck I never knew they actually existed growing up in S Florida! Thought they were like unicorns!

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 2:37PM
mboston_gw

I'm in Lakeland and presently I have three - one is a returning female Rufous. She first came in Jan. 2010 and stayed till April. She was caught and banded in Feb. of that year. She returned in Dec. 2010 and stayed till March. She was caught again in Jan. and found to be healthy. She came back for a third time a week ago last Friday. You can see the band in the picture.

The other two are male Ruby-throated. One is an adult and the other is an immature male I think. He may stay the winter - he seems comfortable with us being out in the yard and will fly down near us to feed. I think I have had about 10 different ones come into the yard since Aug.29th when the first migrating one came thru. Each stayed about a week to 10 days then moved on.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 1:21AM
klflorida

Wow Mboston, I'm so impressed with your detail and the photos that capture so aptly these illusive creatures. Good job.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 10:41PM
neutronnorman

Yes. This picture was taken in Snapper Village, Miami at 117th. ave and Sunset Dr. The picture was taken by my friend Diana about 2 days after I installed the feeder.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
What happened to Old Garden Web?
WoW! I took a little time off, and come back totally...
cenflagirl
Jacksonville/Middleburg Bamboo?
Where can I see a serious bamboo farm so I can decide...
abracapocus
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Cypress Vine - will I regret it?
I bought some seeds today, gonna see if I can get things...
SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
Sponsored Products
Set of 2 Victoria Style Ghost Dining Chair Clear Color
eModern Decor
Parker House - Genoa Entertainment Center - GEN-605-600A-600B
Great Furniture Deal
Mia Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with Garnet Glass
$526.50 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Class of Tiles Silver/Gold 7' 7" x 10' 10"
Home Depot
Access Lighting Aztec C20457BSWHTEN1140C Flush Mount - C20457BSWHTEN1140C
$188.00 | Hayneedle