my first order of the year from SRQHoyas! Pics!

lightning96(4)May 6, 2011

The long Minnesota winter is finally over! These arrived yesterday. The first 5 are rooted hoyas, the last photo is my first try at ordering cuttings.

Hoya davidcummingi IML 0892

Hoya sp Ban Ngon Ngoy IML1514

Hoya diversifolia ssp el-nidicus

Hoya merrilli IML 0465

Hoya naumanii IML 0198

Cuttings of H. meliflua IML0735, H. acuta IML0079 and H. dasyantha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

Nice haul!

That's a nice size for the davidcummingii - you probably wouldn't want a smaller plant since this one can unpredictably go downhill.

I got my merrilli from Joni, too, and at first I wasn't too fond of it (not sure why), but it's really grown on me in the meantime. It's really fun to watch new leaves develop on this one - they're a good example of a leaf that starts out looking quite strange and then eventually grows into its mature form. Plus, it is SO EASY. One of those that just never creates a fuss. Got to love that. sp Ban Ngon Ngoy IML1514 is also just so. ^_^

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 3:00PM
lightning96(4)

GG thanks for linking to that previous thread. I have also read before that davidcummingi is more fussy, I thought I'd give it a try since I've also heard that it likes it cooler. The previous thread mentioned growing it in hydroton... does it like drier conditions? How do others grow this one? If hydroton is the consensus I might try that.

Of all the hoyas that came yesterday, I think I like the look of sp. Ban Ngon Ngoy the best --- that was a surprise for me b/c I really got it because I thought the flowers are gorgeous.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 4:08PM
scsva(7/VA)

My favorite is the merrilli IML 0465 simply because I lean towards the shiny leaves.

You will enjoy the dasyantha. I have one that I have really neglected and it just keeps on going. I believe it is a very hardy hoya.

Nice group.
Susan

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 4:40PM
greedygh0st

/Beth I think davidcummingii just really needs consistency. It is not tolerant of going too dry or staying too wet. I haven't had mine as long as others have, so you might receive more thorough advice elsewhere. What I know is that mine isn't routinely high maintenance, just violently upsettable during seasonal changes (read: fall). So, maybe that just further confirms that it doesn't like inconsistency. Perhaps it comes from a very stable region? When David recommends growing davidcummingii in hydroton, he is referring to a semi-hydro setup (with water reservoir), which allows moisture to be consistently wicked up to the roots without the risk of overwatering.

/Susan That's true, merrilli has jawdroppingly SHINY leaves. I wish it was easier to capture in a photograph because they look like they are covered in high gloss lacquer irl.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 5:04PM
klyde(8)

Don't you just love being able to order rooted plants? Much less stress. They all look so nice and...green! The color is really popping on my pc.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 5:53PM
cpawl(8)

You picked some nice hoya's and joni's plants are so great.Enjoy your new plants.

Cindy

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 6:35PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats on your very NICE selection of Hoyas...they all look great! Best of luck growing them and hope they grow well for you and bloom! Thanks for posting! Enjoy them...

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 7:18PM
moonwolf_gw

Congrats Beth! I hope the cuttings root for you and your plants grow well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 11:06AM
mdahms1979

Congratulations on your new Hoyas. The first order of the year is always fun after a long cold winter.

Mike

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 8:19PM
lightning96(4)

Thanks everyone! Although now I am a bit anxious about how davidcummingii will fare... apparently I violated my own rule of starting with only "easy" hoyas. I will watch that one like a hawk for any sign of its displeasure! Any more feedback from the experts on here about that hoya?

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
davidcummingii seedlings
I have too many davidcummingii x ? seedlings to keep,...
rennfl
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
Hoya ID Needed
I just bought this beautiful plant at a local garden...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
testing testing....
Are you guys uploading photos from your computer, or...
shelley7950
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™