My deer solution works!

CindyCRNA(6a)April 7, 2012

Well, it works for me. We often have deer feeding in the yard as we live on the edge of a forest. I have been using Bobbex-R for 3 years using the higher concentration of 1 cup repellent to 4 cups water. This is the is the formula they suggest for fall and winter spraying to prevent drying (anti-transpirent) I use the higher concentration rather than the 1-8 they suggest for repellant. Also, in the spring, I spray about every 3 days as there are so many new leaves coming out, I get paranoid when a leaf is "unprotected" by the malodorous scent of Bobbex. My neighbor said she has had less hosta damage since I have been spraying also. There is a downside to all of this. It is expensive as I will probably use $150-$200 of Bobbex. You have to be vigilant. I spray at least once every 5 days throughout the summer and every 3 days in the spring. I have some Plantskyyd in the garage I am going to bust out this year but am just going to spray the ground as I hear the stuff can leave your plants a little red. But is is supposed to last much longer than Bobbex. It also works different as it is the smell of slaughterhouse and the Bobbex smells like garlic and rotten egg. Anyone use the Plantskyyd before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_on zone 5b

wow Cindy -- you deserve every ounce of pleasure you get from your garden, you work SO HARD to nurture it! I fear I would just wring my hands in despair and grow only barberry shrubs!
Jan

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 1:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CindyCRNA(6a)

I know, Jan. I think about this spray schedule but boy, I do love hostas! I have also an extreme fondness for Coral Bells (Heuchera)and have maybe 25-30 of them. Very little bothers them although I do think a rabbit did nibble a couple last year so they get an occasional spray just for safe keeping. Oh, did I mention I also spray my daylilies the same way because I have had deer clear an entire summers bloom in 1 evening.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Hosta G 2014
I saw a sign that said "watch for children"...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™