Scapes - Oh No!

ejr2005(Eastern MA)October 24, 2013

A couple of days ago I noticed that the Busy Being Blue that I got as a bonus from Maryotts about a month and a half ago is sending up two flower scapes. I guess it still thinks it's in California.

This is New England, and though we've had a really mild fall so far, it's now turning cold. Should i do anything like cut them off, or just let it be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

I just had to cut off 2 scapes from Mal who is sending up rebloom scapes. I brought them into the house and have bloomed twice. Now with the snow (we had a bit last night) that's about all you can do.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 5:58PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

I always let the first scape bloom on a new plant just to make sure it's the right plant. Even if you have a frost and the scape dies, the plant should be ok. Like Marric said, you can cut the scape if it gets close to blooming and save some of the plant's energy.

Nate

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:39PM
floota

I broke off all the remaining scapes earlier this week, with hard freezes called for!

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 1:53PM
ejr2005(Eastern MA)

I broke off the scapes and brought them inside. Don't know if they're far enough along to bloom, but we're getting into hard freeze time.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:08PM
marricgardens

How big are your largest ones? The larger they are, the more chance of them blooming. On mine the 3 largest blooms have just finished but the smaller ones, 1/2-1", are turning yellow and falling off.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
Jean
I'm afraid Jean is discouraged. Hope she won't quit...
organic_kitten
finally got into this forum,and have to learn how to do it
I had to really hunt to find this forum again and couldn't...
jean zone 8 Ar.
Now for charming "C" daylilies!
Let's see what you all have, I Need to add more to...
sherrygirl zone5
Cures for Cabin Fever!
It has been too long this winter we are having!! Too...
Cindy zone 6a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™