What would be a good systemic fungicide?

Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)April 3, 2014

Inquiring minds need to know.

Can someone give me a brand name for a "good systemic fungicide" for my container hosta?

The term was in the thread by EstherB about ebay stage 4 liners offered for sale.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

can someone give me a need for such ...????

what fungus lives INSIDE hosta????

we shouldnt really encourage.. willy nilly use of chems ... until we are sure you have a need for them ...

and if you tell me the media... then why do you need it in the system of the hosta???

i am so confused ..

ken

ps: really now.. gleaning brilliant ideas from an ebay seller??????

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:30AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I was just going by the material quoted in an eBay listing, quoted by .... EstherB I think it was. Let me get the link to that thread.

In this information where they were selling stage 4 starter plugs of hosta, they recommended a good systemic fungicide to keep the little TCs clear of fungi.

It sounded to me like there was such a chemical product available, and I wanted to be informed. Not considering applying chemicals helter skelter here, since I believe in keeping my wild bird and natural predator population healthy.

What could such a systemic fungicide be, that's what I wish to know. And you are right, Ken, what was I thinking, but sometimes I discover that I (moi) am the one living in an alternate reality, there is a whole different world out there...with folks living in it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:04AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I need a good fungicide in order to grow roses here. Hybrid Tea roses cannot survive in this area without some form of Black Spot control. In fact, I have removed most of my "HT's" simply because of the amount of spraying involved.

Many of those posting to the Rose Forum believe that Bayer Advanced Disease Control For Roses, Flowers and Shrubs is the most effective product available. I reluctantly use it with success.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:45AM
donrawson(Z 5)

The one to use is Physan 20. Several of us hybridizers are currently using it while germinating our hosta seeds. I'm not sure if it is a "systemic fungicide", but it is a fungicide (and other disease control, etc.) which is suitable for use on seeds, young seedlings, and a wide range of other applications. You can buy it on ebay...and one bottle goes a long ways.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 4:32PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Mocc,

It seems to me to be unwise to treat for a problem that you haven't experienced. That's what Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is. First you identify a problem, then you identify the least toxic method of solving it. That would be my advice.

Steve

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:05PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i too used to collect roses .. and all the chem use is one of the reasons why i quit ... didnt need to being do all that with babes in the yard ... [i mean children.. not your hosta.. lol]

i can see the need for such.. with seedlings.. damp off.. etc ... and babe TC are no different than seedlings ... by that stage ... especially in a greenhouse situation ... its so totally different than outdoors ...

but i see no need in large pots with fully mature hosta ...

it comes down.. as usual .. health risks aside... i dont think its worth the money/cost ... no one has claimed any benefit .. for what i think moc wants to use it for ...

ken

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 11:25AM
bernd ny zone5

I read Bayer Advanced Disease Control fights crown rot. I had that last year on a very large h.'Blue Umbrellas' and it worked to stop rot. I plan to spray the grounds around plants with that several times this year.
For growing seedlings from seeds I use Captan. I put a little Captan into water in the tray, and the medium in seedling cups transports it together with fertilizer via capillary action up to the surface of the cup. I have no molds in those cups. When the ground around plants is drenched with a fungicide, then the fungicide hopefully protects the plant.
Bernd

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:35PM
bernd ny zone5

I just read again The Hosta Journal 2013 Volume 44 Number 1. There on page 18, Warren J. Pollock of Pa writes about using an 'all-purpose systemic fungicide such as Cleary 3336' when using topsoil as part of a potting mix for planting hostas in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Systemic fungicide Cleary 3336

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:33PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Duly noted, Babka.

However, I do not use topsoil as part of my potting mix. How effective would it be when NOT using topsoil, I wonder.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:08PM
bernd ny zone5

When all your parts of the mix are sterile you probably do not need a fungicide so much, but spores can blow in, come from insects and rain, or arrive after you touching other plants.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Designer Genes
We still have 2 feet of snow cover here, although it...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Help for new hostas
Hallo everybody.I 'm from Greece and I would like to...
anthi_gr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™