872 tulips planted so far

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)October 1, 2012

I ordered so many bulbs this fall like some crazy nut. But so far only 872 tulips had arrived so they are all planted. Only ordered 2,500 so going to be plenty more bulbs to plant. I have dutch iris, crocus, daffodils, tulips and some hyacinths still to come. Including my Colorblends and Brent&Beckies orders. I figgure those should both arrive maybe mid October. Meantime I was glad these ones just finushed gotten in the ground came early. Makes it easier to get everything done.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Good grief, Rita! Mine won't be here until December most likely. That's a lot of bulbs, girl, but it will be beautiful!
kay

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 6:24PM
silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)

egads! Thats a ton, I know it will look spectacular come next spring and in the coming years. Cant wait for your pictures..

I planted about 300 or so daff bulbs, and a few dozen tulips, I have a hard time with tulips , so dont really bother.. they only last a year here, no matter where in the garden I seem to plant them, they are never happy.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 6:32PM
wieslaw59

Silverkelt, your place is not the only one where the tulips last only one year. Most of them last only one year in most places. I'm in zone 7 and the only one that returned for me 3 years in a row in the same number was Apeldoorn Elite. Some came back twice in reduced numbers, but generally they are just annuals.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:00PM
katlynn719(8b)

I didn't know that tulips only last a year up north! I thought they didn't come back for me because I was because I was too far south. I learn something new all the time on this forum! Rita, my back ached a little when I read your post. I'll be looking forward to your Spring garden pics -
Kathy

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:51PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

Geez, what a pile of bulbs to plant.I use to have a bunch od daffs, but they slowly disappeared.so dont want to mess with little bulbs no more,I will just injoy every one eolses blooms.

jean

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 10:35PM
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Awesome Rita! Your posts make me feel better about my plant/bulb/rhizome/corm/seed binges! I'm in good company! lol

Can't wait to see pics!

Rena'

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 1:19AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Tulips really don't last, that is why one has to keep on replanting them. But really, I do so love tulips.

I never seem to do much in moderation. When I go crazy, I go crazy. This year I will be planting more bulbs than I ever have before. But it sure is worth it in the spring.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
As I Promised, Photos...Spring's Coming
Here you go, As I said, it is just the beginning, but...
organic_kitten
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
"Debugging" New Dayliles
Last year I ordered some dayliles online I think may...
antlil
Blooms...I need blooms....Winter is too long!
Have to have a few just to get by Front area Then the...
organic_kitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™