Finally have a flower to share

golden_ca_2000(BC Canada)May 5, 2012

My H. tomataensis opened last night and it sure smells great! Got 6 more buds ready to open...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

Oh yay! H. tomatensis pictures! I think this one is such a cutie!! Your plant looks fantastic - congratulations. :)

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 5:55PM
goddess9(7b)

Congrats!!!!

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 5:58PM
mdahms1979

That is one happy blooming Hoya, beautiful.
I sure hope my plant blooms again, it's been so long.
Do you think you can describe the scent?

Mike

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:35PM
golden_ca_2000(BC Canada)

Thank you,
Well this one seems to like the spot I have it in... in a very sunny corner window facing facing south east....it has 7 more flowers just about to open and I can see all kinds of tiny ones starting to grow...
Now the fragrance - lol.. to describe it is kind of hard... and considering I can't keep my nose out of it.. I would say it is a very beautiful perfumy fragrance... very nice anyways! you can barely smell it at all during the day - but in the evening.. its another story... not over powering at least... mindu with only the one flower open...when a few more open at the same time it might be another story... I do find though on this plant the flowers only last a few days - which is too bad.. Anyways I was happy to share a flower with you folks once, as I always, so much enjoy seeing yours!

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:46AM
mdahms1979

You know Golden I seem to remember the last time you posted one of your plants in bloom. I believe it was your Hoya angustifolia and it was still fairly small but also just covered in blooms. You are obviously doing something right, good growing.

Mike

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:19PM
greedygh0st

I really want to get better at describing fragrances. Hopefully without simultaneously turning into a pretentious snot. It's funny how people describing flower scents always sound adorable, and people describing wine or beer bouquets always sound like someone you should avoid at a party.

I agree that your plants always look like textbook examples of what we aspire to, golden. :)

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:30PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Golden, it is SO Pretty!! Your plant is nice and healthy too, thanks for posting!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 4:58PM

Yes Mike your probably correct... Mindu I think I did have H. Australis flower inbetween... (I think I only had one flower on that one though... funny thing is I have both my H. tomataensis and my H. angustifolia growing in the same location - in my front window... so I guess they must like that sunny spot because your right - they both put out a pretty good flower show there! I now have 4 flowers open on my H. Tomataensis - funny thing is - you can BARELY smell it even with your nose right up there during the day... BUT as soon as it starts to get dark - the whole room is fragrant... Kinda wierd how that is?

GG, yes describing flower scents is a hard one... for instance I think my carnosa smells something like baby powder... my daughter thinks it smells like smelly socks! (whats with that... her nose must be outa joint - lol)
And pug- thank you very much... (cheers)

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 6:53PM

I figured since I had forgotten to post a photo of my H. Australis I would do so now... Another awesome fragrance... I bet with a few more flowers on the plant it could be somewhat over powering... I bought this plant from Pike Lake - he has such nice healthy plants.. and yes I was actually able to buy a PLANT -mindu it was alot smaller when I bought it - Pike lake is one of the few places to do so when your Canadian....

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:06PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Don't you just love australis flowers? They are so pretty!! My australis 'lisa' has a few peduncles and a couple of them are budding up for the very time, can't wait. I was fortunate to see blooms last year on my "fuzzy" leaf australis ssp australis after waiting for what seemed like forever to finally see it bloom.

That's a great picture Golden!!

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:38AM
Aggie2(10a)

Golden, it's such a nice plant, I like the way you have it wrapped around a hoop! Flowers are just beautiful!

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
Krimson princess question
I've had this hoya for about 6 months or so. Lately...
loveofbostons
Care instructions for ...
Can someone give me water/light/heat instructions for...
Diana_Gale
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
testing testing....
Are you guys uploading photos from your computer, or...
shelley7950
Sponsored Products
Pali Designs Torino Nightstand - 1314-M
$314.00 | Hayneedle
Clara Nutcracker - 90022
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Riah Brown 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Bedroom Lamp: 25 in. Chrome Contessa Table Lamp with Mirror PT12301
Home Depot
Woopsy White Desk Lamp
$29.99 | Lamps Plus
Olde World Silver One-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 5W x 15H x 5
$372.00 | Bellacor
Accents Borders & Trims: MARAZZI Flooring Artea Stone 3 in. x 13 in.
$3.29 | Home Depot
WAC LEDmeĀ® Double Spotlight Recessed Trim with Housing
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™