questions about butternut squash

lroberge(5)September 10, 2006

Greetings! I would appreciate your input and advice on this issue.

I have a bunch of butternut squash in various stages of development and ripening.

Ok, if the winter frost comes and some of them are not quite ripe-some green lines or not tan color yet; is there a way to bring them in to ripen and thus be able to use during the winter months?

I would appreciate any advice on this. I expect that within the next 4 weeks, the season will be over and I would like to collect as much of the squash for winter as possible.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Lawrence

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52 Zone 6

Generally, leave them on the vine until frost. The leaves will start to yellow (mine are now) and the stems will turn tan and crack. Some folks say that a light frost won't hurt them, my experience is that a 'light' frost can sometimes be colder than that and it does do some damage.

We grow several different varieties of winter squash, and I now can keep them until April / May of the following year by washing off the dirt carefully, and leaving them in a light, airy room ( a greenhouse) on newspaper. Leave several inches of stem.

The fruit that isn't completely ripe on the vine will often ripen up in storage, although the amount of flesh might not be that impressive, and the taste not that great.

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

If you want them to keep longer when picked, then a dip in a mild solution of water and chlorine bleach will help to reduce any surface bactera, and will help to prevent them from spoiling. Also, keep in mind that even though they have tough skins, they do bruise easily, just like pumpkins and other hard squashes.

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Cherry jam not setting
I made sweet cherry jam yesterday, without added pectin...
creativesolver
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™