Transplanting Squash

Orlando-DaveSeptember 6, 2012

U of F extension has them as not transplant-able but I've got some started and I'm going to give it a shot.

Anybody had any luck with this?

I'm going to direct seed some too just to be safe.

Thanks.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Orlando-Dave

Gardeners that live in colder climates sometimes plant squash indoors to be transplanted after the frost when they want to get a quick start of the season. If you are careful and don't break any roots, it can be successfully transplanted but it is easier for us just to direct seeded in a good amended soil, there is still time to do that. In fact, I just direct seeded yesterday one more squash that I forgot to plant...

Some of my squash this morning

Silvia

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 8:20AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

The UF guide sez:
Transplantability categories: I, easily survives transplanting; II, survives with care; III, use seeds or containerized transplants only.

Squash/pumpkins are III - 'containerized' means each transplant is in an individual container, not a flat, so you can pop it out w/o disrupting the roots, rather than cutting or breaking roots to separate them from a flat.

I always transplant my squash (you just have to be careful not to break the roots, as Silvia says). Direct-seeding doesn't work for me, as the sprouts are quickly destroyed by bugs & critters.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 10:27AM
judyk_2008(9 DeLeon Sprs)

I always start my squash in yogurt cups in the winter and have them under lights until the weather is warm enough to transplant. I've never had any problems. It gets me a head start against bugs and diseases.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 3:41PM
happy_fl_gardener

I also always start my squash seeds in small containers before transplanting. Besides helping them to not get eaten, I often don't have my planting site ready so it buys me extra time.

Christine

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 8:25PM
Orlando-Dave

That is great news because my squash plants look so pretty in their containers. Thanks for unpacking what the UF III designation means.

Dave

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™