Sum & Substance

oneraeApril 19, 2012

I've had this hosta for at least 5 years and it only has 2 leaves each year. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i doubt its SS ..

any chance at a picture??

it is one of the fastest giant hosta there are ...

ken

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 12:08PM
duane456

I had SS for 3-4 years and it never got much bigger. I finally moved it to another spot and now it's huge.
duane

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 1:35PM
bernd ny zone5

S&S likes some sun, and all hostas like a lot of humus and water. But I had no luck either with my S&S hostas, they did not grow well. Then I bought another S&S from another place and that grew beautifully, have now 2 mature ones. Some hostas come up for years with 1 eye, this is probably because they will be big when mature but got bought too small and first need to develop into that big-plant league, such as long roots.
Bernd

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 1:59PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Bernd, are your S&S container grown?

How deep is the container?

I have my 3d year S&S in a 14 x 14 square plastic pot and it is putting out its 5th leaf now. Previously it had been in the ground in zone 5B, and was doing great. I think it only had one big eye last August when I dug it up. However, this year it only came up with one shoot, and the leaves are all pretty big and really crisp.

I was wondering if it should go into a whiskey barrel this fall when it goes dormant, or maybe before then? In its present pot, I don't think it will have room for DEEP ROOTS.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:18PM
franknjim

Most giants take 5 to 7 years before they excel. Mine is big but it doesn't grow anywhere near as fast as my 3 year old Empress Wu. My S&S was a single eyed plant 20 years ago and stayed that way for a long time. It has been in the same spot for 11 years now and is about 5 or 6 feet wide.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:33PM
onerae

I believe I'll put it in a container...I don't know why I haven't moved it before now, but each year I thought it would grow! Actually it was larger when I bought it...it's probably planted on a rock. We have a thin layer of soil over our rocks around here!!

Thanks everyone...

Rae

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:08PM
franknjim

Before you dig it up you should check and see if you might have it planted too deep. The top of the crown should be at the top of the soil. Having a hosta planted too deep can stunt the growth. If this is the case and it isn't too far down you might be able to just remove some of the soil from around the top.

It should be like #3.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:52PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Chris from hallson's says not to go too big on the pots. My S&S is about 5 years old and is in a 16" pot. I would guess it to be 5 gallons. I may move it up next spring.

bkay

Just a quick photo of my S&S today:

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:00PM
bernd ny zone5

Moccasin, all my hostas are in the ground, except this winter's seedlings, and the nice 4 new ones I just got from Naylor Creek and potted up for now. Here is my larger S&S last June. It is about 30 inches tall and leaves are length+width= 30 inches. It is about 10 years old. Bernd

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:02PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Bernd, is that an azalea in the foreground of your big S&S?
Do you get the Korean azaleas for your zone?

My ONLY S&S is putting out its fifth leaf now. I have it under the canopy of some tall ligustrum, and will be moving it when the sun climbs higher and it gets no more morning sun. Last year in Ma. zone 5B it was doing great in the afternoon sun, up to late Sept.,at which time I potted him up to go south.

I know other hosta can get gigantic, but this is the only one I have which develops the elephant ear sized leaves.
When I have more courage, I'll get him a girl friend, Empress Wu.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 6:01PM
bernd ny zone5

That azalea is nothing special, should be blooming soon. In my zone 5 I have no problem with azaleas which are listed as hardy, such as Exbury. Talking about "Korean", Korean dogwood is hardy here, does not get that fungus, are trouble free, is good for sun and shade, will be blooming in May (I think).
Bernd

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Need Expertise from Utah Hosta Growers
I've been following this forum for several years and...
kay21_utahzone5a
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Is this heat/sun damage or something else?
This is my Loyalist from last year. It has a pretty...
santamiller
22 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night predicted!
I spent three hours covering hostas when I got home...
zkathy
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Sponsored Products
American Standard Bathtubs Cadet 5 ft. Right Drain Integral Apron Bathtub in
Home Depot
POLYWOOD Recycled Plastic Ocean Shores Outdoor Chaise Lounge - NCC2280GR
$489.00 | Hayneedle
Blue 134711-R 5C Green Wire 100 LED Christmas Net Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Mr. Bar-B-Q Deep Seat Cover
Overstock.com
Outside the Box� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Ar
$255.95 | Bellacor
Kids Perfect Fit Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 in. x 7 ft. 8 In. Rug
$265.95 | Bellacor
Livex Home Basics 6007-91 Wall Sconce - Brushed Nickel - 7.75W in. - 6007-91
$39.90 | Hayneedle
American Standard Bathtubs EverClean 6 ft. Reversible Drain Soaking Tub in
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™