potting a hoya

sheilahanne(5 -6)May 5, 2013

I have had a hoya in the same pot for fourteen years. It has just had its first bloom ever, and it is over twenty years old. I am wanting to repot it but am wondering when is the proper time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammypie(9)

This is a good time to repot your hoya.
Make sure you add some orchid bark, perlite, peat moss, and vermiculite to your new potting mix.

If you're afraid to repot your hoya, you can dig out the old soil on top a few inches and add new soil to the top.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:56PM
sheilahanne(5 -6)

Thanks. I am a newbee to the hoya craze. I have always loved the hoya I have had. Only recently even knew what it was- that was after its lovely bloom. Thank you for your information. Do you know if there is a proper pot material- I read that terrocata is not the best choice?

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:22PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Plastic pots are fine, some of use save terra cotta pots for our larger Hoyas that need the weight of the pot to remain stable. I use both for my Hoyas & either is fine.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:30PM
sheilahanne(5 -6)

I think i have a Pink Silver-very pretty leaves. Is it that slow growing after twenty years? Or have I had the black thumb? I cant believe it is so old and still so small. Any other suggeestions? And Thanks-

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:54PM
teisa(6)

Well, if it is Pink Silver they bloom fairly easy if given enough light. So it probably isn't getting enough light and nutrients since it needs to be repotted! I bet if you repot, give plenty of light, and fertilize moderately, it will just take off in both foliage and blooms!! Congratulations!

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:11PM
sheilahanne(5 -6)

I know, its like I had a baby or something. Ok... When do you repot? I have another one as well that just had its first bloom-all white flowers, light green round leaves. 10 years old... I dont know when I potted it. last

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:14PM
denise_gw

I would used either plastic or a glazed pot - Pink Silver can be quite a water guzzler and unglazed clay dries out too fast. At least for the way I water. I used clay pots for my Hoyas that like to go dry, like kerrii and obovata. If you use an all purpose potting mix, be sure to add some perlite or orchid bark to enhance drainage.

Pink Silver should be a fast grower, so I'm betting once you repot it that it will take off.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
semi-hydro compared to gritty mix
EDIT Jan 28, 2015: this is an old thread, but I updated...
greentoe357
Any tips on how to NOT kill this new Fishtail Hoya
I walked into lowes this morning and found this large...
tlbean2004
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™