Only a few cucumbers at a time...

Rosie025September 3, 2011

I mistakenly only planted a handful of pickling cucumber plants this year, so only have a few cucumbers ripe at one time.

Does anyone know of a recipe where I can add cucumbers as I pick them into a large container in the refrigerator? If I use a refrigerator pickle recipe, is there any safety concern by adding pickles several at a time?

Or if I ferment them, could I add a few at a time?

Thank you for your help!

Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Make up a brine and process a few jars at a time is my suggestion.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 12:08PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with Linda. The problem with trying to add a few at a time is that the brine quickly gets diluted by the water in the cukes. Then bacteria and stuff can grow in it and the pickle flavor is weak and 'off'.

We've had several discussions here about this issue lately as it is a common problem for those new to making pickles and the recommendation is always the same - you either have to grow more cukes (12-15 plants) to have enough to make a batch at one time or you have to make small pint or smaller batches as your cukes become available. Trying to store the cukes for several days until you get enough only results in mushy pickles since they need to be fresh picked at pickle making time.

Dave

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 1:35PM
2ajsmama

You can ferment them in smaller batches - just mix the brine and keep it in the fridge, pack a jar at a time and pour the brine in (I'd warm it in the MW slightly first) and set it out. Though you'd have to keep track of when you started each jar!

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™