Where To Purchase Empress Wu

alameda/zone 8April 19, 2011

Where is the best place to purchase a nice sized Empress Wu? Also would like suggestions about any other hostas that get large - I have a Sum & Substance that I love, and a few Blue Angels.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernd ny zone5(5)

Land of the Giants Hosta Farm has Empress Wu for $22. My experience buying there is good, single or 2 eyes, leaves are close to mature. You can also try your local nurseries. A nursery in my area sold me a pot with a 2 or 3 eye Empress Wu around $22 one year ago.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 5:27PM
hosta-see(Z5bMI)

Hi alameda,
I have ordered from Made in the Shade Gardens (Rob, Hosta Guy) and always been well pleased, he has Empress Wu for $21. (little smaller plants, but good quality)
Naylor Creek Nursery has EW for $16 and Bridgewood Gardens also has WU for $19. Both are also good retailers in my experience with them.
Niagria Falls is a large that I like.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 6:10PM
bkay2000

Hi alameda,

Are you growing in the ground? Just curious, as I've always done pots, but have hosta on order that I plan to put in beds.

bkay

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 7:00PM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

A local nursery has it for like $14. But given you're in TX, you probably don't have any options for hosta at local venues. EW is still a fairly new cultivar, so it's not likely going to be a large plant from anywhere. But I will tell you that most everyone I've ordered from this spring would be happy to email you back with an answer to, "If I were to order Empress Wu, can you tell me how large the plant would be?"

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 7:55PM
Josh Spece

New, as Melissa said, and in high demand! I would be surprised if you can find one more than a year or two old.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:40AM
bernd ny zone5(5)

Hallson's has Empress Wu for $25.
I just got my order of 4 (+1free one) hostas from Hallson's, they are great, big roots, 2 or more eyes.
Bernd

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™