topsy-turvy

greentoe357June 1, 2014

I noticed something cool today. I am rooting this Hoya polyneura. The support stake was not tall enough, and the top of the stem happened to bend, backward, with the leaf undersides facing almost perfectly up. I did not think anything urgent of it, so I just let it be (lazy, I know). So, a new pair of leaves comes out, and they face the light!!! And there is no hint of a twist in the stem or in the petioles of any kind at all! Aren't these things amazing - orienting the new coming out leaves with their photosynthesizing surfaces to where the light is, right from the get-go!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentoe357

Now here's an idea: flip the vine every time a new pair of leaves is about to come out. THAT should look very cool when the vine is long enough.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 4:27AM
denise_gw

GT, it's one of the things I fnd a little annoying about polyneura. Most plants will re-orient their leaves with the sun. The leaves are lovely, but taking cuttings usually results in twisty-turny leaves that look a little bizarre! I have to admit they are interesting!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:08PM
greentoe357

> GT, it's one of the things I fnd a little annoying about polyneura. Most plants will re-orient their leaves with the sun.

Vive la différence! I find its growth habit adorable - it's as if it's trying to grow in-between the pages of a closed book, not aware that there is space above and below it can utilize.

> taking cuttings usually results in twisty-turny leaves that look a little bizarre!

I am probably missing something here, 'cause I can't imagine how this looks. Do you mean the cutting grows weird, of the mama plant grows weird where it was cut? Do you have any pics of this?

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™