Hosta breeding

Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)April 10, 2014

As I was perusing the Plant Delights Nursery website looking for articles about hosta for warm climates and such, I ran across another, also by Tony Avent, which appeared in the AHS Journal back in 1992 (vol 23 #1). I link here to it on the PDN website.

He expresses his thoughts on the way to go if you are going to breed hosta. And he notes that there is no work being done (at that time anyway) on breeding for better flowers. He is concerned about the gene pool for hosta.

So if you are interested in one hybridizer's approach to hosta breeding, and one who has introduced a bunch of very popular hosta, follow the link and enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN Tony Avent--Hosta Breeders

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i have heard him speak a couple times ... what a great guy ...

i have not had a lot of luck with his plants... and i always wondered if it is because of his trying to breed southern hosta ... the gene pool just doenst like MI .. or me...???

ken

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Ken, thank you for responding to my orphan post.
I consider Tony one of the plant pioneers or explorers like the 19th century Victorians and Edwardians, finding plants everywhere.

While I've purchased from PDN for many years now, it was primarily natives and subtropicals. I ordered a couple of Tony's hosta introductions just this year. We'll see if his hosta, from his nursery, perform any different than his hosta from other nurseries.

Of course, Squash Casserole is one of his. I absolutely love it, grows like a champ. Also another gold, little Sweet Tater Pie, both these were introduced in 1995 by him. I just got Surfer Dude, and it is growing by leaps and bounds. Since plantaginea was pollen parent, I will have to see how much fragrance it actually has--DonR has it on his Fragrant Flowered List.

Guess I should start a thread about Tony Avent's introductions.

Every thread should have at least ONE photo.
Here is Surfer Dude.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
hostanista
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™