A few of our young ones - Several Pics

veryblessed(6)April 21, 2012

I hesitated to post my little scrawny hostas after seeing so many beautiful pictures of yours. I have known about hostas for years, but never realized that (1) there are so many different ones and (2) how addictive collecting them can be. Anyway we just started planting hostas in the fall of 2010, with most of them going in last year. I think we are only up to around 60 right now. They were coming really well and the freeze hit. Anyway, here are a few of our recently planted ones. We are working on a larger area so we can add more! I have learned a great deal form the forum..Thanks!

Morning Star - Planted last fall

Volcano Island

Stand By Me

Whirlwind

Blueberry Waffles - I have wanted this one since I saw a picture of it taken at the 2009 (I think) convention. This one has only been planted about 2 weeks.

Future home of many more hostas,conifers, etc.

PS. Thanks Ken for the link on "How to post pictures" you may come to regret sharing that with me. LOL

Thanks,

James

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cher(6 SW OH)

Welcome over to Hosta also Frank. You've got a great bunch of Hosta there.
Cher

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:09PM
jan_on zone 5b

Hi James -- my goodness what a beautiful property you have -- SO MUCH potential to indulge your new passion. Hope you have lots of energy and a strong back!!! You'll no doubt have lots of admiring glances from the street back there.
Jan

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:11PM
frostynyc(7)

Your property is amazing, and you've picked some really beautiful hostas. I'd love to see how this looks a few months from now when everything fully up.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:23PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Gorgeous property with a nice easy slope toward the street, I think every thing you plant down there will be highly visible. What a display setup. That space looks custom made for hosta and conifers. Are you able to put in a few Japanese maple? Or is it too cold for those? Something that blooms in the spring before the trees leaf out would really show up.

Always nice to have another person showing their way of planting hosta. Never too many pics for me.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:33PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

James, welcome. I can already picture that section of your property full of hosta! Get shopping mister! :)

We do love pictures-the more the merrier! I need to do some weeding before I can post mine this year, but they are looking good. Yippee.

Cynthia

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:38PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Gee,James,you sure have a lot of bare ground there! Lol! I wish I had that much available land,but unfornutely,I am on the side of a mountain,and too steep for many more hosta,but I still have some more room in my garden. Good luck with your future planting! Phil

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:56PM
veryblessed(6)

Thanks everyone for your comments they are greatly appreciated. I am trying to be patient but I want them to be big now!! :)

Moccasin- We do have three Japanese maples in that area now a Crimson Queen, a full moon and a autumn moon they are pretty small as I had to get them mail order so they are hard to see, we also have out several hundred mixed narcissus bulbs out for early spring color.

I know what you mean about shopping I have orders in with Made in the Shade and Naylor. I am going to try to pace myself though (is that even possible) as this is going to be a long term project.
Thanks again,
James

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:52PM
donrawson(Z 5)

Welcome to the forum, James! Thanks for posting the pics. You have a wonderful site there with lots of potential. Hostas, ferns, companion plants, etc. And you've picked out some very nice hostas. That Bluberry Waffles is an awesome, puckered, large blue hosta...you're gonna like it! Give it plenty of room...

By the way, where are you located?

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:05PM
veryblessed(6)

Hey Don, Thanks... we have a little bit of all of that mixed in there, now if I can just bring it all together in to some kind of a "plan"? We are in Kentucky, about 60 miles east of Lexington. James

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Tri State Hosta Sale
Tri State Hosta Society had a wonderful Sale today...
mbug_gw
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™