stapelia gigantea

MuscledBear(10a)October 12, 2013

I have two stapelia gigantea plants I am willing to give to good homes to St Pete area gardeners. [sorry, I am not mailing them so they need to be picked up]

The photo is the "mother" plant and they do grow pretty quick in this climate. The plants i am giving away are much smaller, though one did have 7 flowers this year. Sporadic blooms most of the summer with a big flush in late summer. I had 8-9 flowers open on any given day for a period of 3 weeks on the mother plant.

Large pretty flowers.

WARNING: just in case.. these flowers are known as "carrion" flowers for a reason, they do smell like a rotting animal and they do attract flies. On a windless day, it can be noticeable. As for the flies, my garden lizards realize this quickly and there are lizards at every flower. If you like the Anoles, this is a great buffet plant for them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zackey(GA 8b)

Wow! I never had more than one flower at a time. I keep mine outside.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 3:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

What a thoughtful, generous offer! And amazing mama plant! I already have some Stapelia but wanted to say I also love watching the anoles catch flies. If I'm going to sit on the porch for a while, I sometimes put a piece of banana or apple peel in a potted plant to 'get some action.'

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
Avocado wilt
I think we have the red bay wilt on our avocado. No...
DunedinDan
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™