My Made In The Shade trip. Very pic heavy!

CindyCRNA(6a)April 21, 2012

Here is some pics from Made In The Shade owned by Rob Mortko and his wife. Due to a family illness, he has not been able to do spring cleaning on the grounds but his greenhouse is impeccable. Extremely knowledgeable and very personable, I found myself handing him more and more money!! His plants are perfect and he does his own TCs. His greenhouse is modest but his variety is vast, as you can see from his website. http://www.hostaguy.com/index.html I will be going back!!

Greenhouse:

Grounds:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CindyCRNA(6a)

Stitch In Time, his mature plant and my purchase, the most expensive hosta I have to date.....still a bargain at $42!

And it's reverse, Mango Tango, first his, then mine.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 1:58PM
CindyCRNA(6a)

A pair of Spilt Milk:

A trio of Dancing Queen:

A trio of Wheee!:

Pandora's Box. This one is so much cuter than this picture!

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:02PM
jan_on zone 5b

My goodness Cindy, those pictures make the money in my wallet want out. I love how well organized everything looks, and the great info tags on the wall. My closest hosta nursery (Hosta Choice in Appin Ontario) doesn't open until May 12. A while longer to wait.
Jan

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:04PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

His grounds are wonderful, his greenhouse is lovely, with a great design and those Hosta are gorgeous. Absolutely LOVE what you chose.
Cher

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:07PM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Looks like you had a great day! Good picks. Now I want a Wheee and a Pandora's Box. Have a great day all, Paula

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:20PM
hillbillyhosta

Great pictures . I so want a pandoras box. Only wish i had a hosta heaven near me . hank

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:51PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

Golly, what a lovely place. Your choices are marvelous, too. Not sure how you exercised such constraint, though. ;) I am thinking that my garden REALLY NEEDS 'Whee' and 'Pandora's Box'. Nevermind that I still have some to plant...always room for a few more, right?!

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:32PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Glad to see Hank back posting, looks like he's springing forward with the hosta! Yeah, I hope I'm waiting for a Pandora's Box to arrive, cannot remember now. I have a Mango Salsa, also very yellow, and waiting for ONE Wheee! to arrive.

Egads that greenhouse is a Zen temple with such a great feeling about it. I'd also noticed the very orderly rows of information tags on the boards above the planting benches. The structure with the square lathe shades the plants yet gives them good natural light. I notice the heater at the far end, for his cold climate that gets a lot of use I bet.

You did a great job reporting and I intend to add a link to the WHO TO BUY HOSTA FROM thread so this one will come up as a possible choice.

Your Dancing Queens look like mine does...I only have one. As time goes by, I expect to be adding more. However, at this point counting the ones on hand and the ones ordered yet not delivered, I'll have 115 different hosta when the dust settles. I'll have to at LEAST wait until DH goes out of town to buy any more on my 2013 list, just a wee bit early.

I notice that you said "my FIRST visit" and I chuckled at that. You betcha....FIRST IS RIGHT.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:48PM
bernd ny zone5

Welcome to this forum, hillbillyhosta, you just joined.
It seems that 'hillbillyhosta = Hank' is not 'Hostahillbilly = HH = Mark'? HH did not post for many months, hope he is OK.
Bernd

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:30PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Verry nice plants,and greenhouse! I haven't been to any of my hosta places yet this year,but I need to get out there soon! Phil

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:46PM
CindyCRNA(6a)

Oh, but there is more! Spartacus:

I love the Mouse series. It joins my Blue Mouse Ears and Mighty Mouse:

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:09PM
mosswitch

Oh, now see what you did, now I'm gonna have to go to Kansas City.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:06PM
CindyCRNA(6a)

A good reason to go back! Neptune:

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:27PM
jan_on zone 5b

Cindy -- clever of you to break up your photo posts. Now we've all lost count! Rather like having three SMALL portions of dessert! The more the merrier. Now -- to plant them.
Jan

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 12:00PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

Thanks for posting Cindy. I bought a Pandora's Box yesterday too! Now, I must go out and find Neptune.

Gesila

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:41PM
CindyCRNA(6a)

Gesila, that Neptune is really a pretty plant. A very pretty gray blue with a white waxy haze, and then those ruffles! And the Pandoras box is adorable. It went in a mini pot with 3 others to showcase it a bit.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 9:58PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

It seems that 'hillbillyhosta = Hank' is not 'Hostahillbilly = HH = Mark'? HH did not post for many months, hope he is OK.
Bernd

Oops, my mistake, I beg your pardon, all the HH's whomevers.
:)

I blame Cindy on my lapse of control yesterday, and now I have another order (or two, and 2 auction bids.....sigh).

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 11:34PM
beverlymnz4

You have purchased many that are "on my list," Neptune, Spartacus and the one I'm picking up Saturday, Dancing Queen. These pictures you shared are great. Thanks
Beverly

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Who's going to the Annual AHS convention in Raleigh?
I live about an hour and a half west of Raleigh. Anybody...
zkathy
Private email to a poster
Now you CAN privately e-mail a poster...as I just now...
Babka NorCal 9b
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™