More birds & Hoyas...

denise_gwJune 16, 2010

No, I don't have any pet birds, but I so enjoy spring when the birds return and sing me awake every morning, and watching the flocks of geese come north. Well, I've been noticing a Robin flying away from my covered front porch every time I go out and figured there must be a nest somewhere. I found it snuggled down in my big hanging pot of H. 'Krimson Princess', which I put out there hoping to get some new variegated growth (seems to want to produce mostly all-green) and in hopes of getting some flowers. I got out my step stool and - so far - no baby birdies, so she must just be sitting on eggs right now. Makes it a little challenging to water!

Denise in Omaha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maidinmontana

How sweet Denise,

Years ago I had a grapevine wreath on the side of my house right beside the patio door. After a bad wind storm a robin made a nest in the wreath and laid 3 eggs. Her and went rounds tho, she wanted to use my flowers to decorate her new home, she finally won, she got the flowers. She hatched the eggs and the babies were so fun to watch. . . they all flew away on the 4th of July. . .

Maid~

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 10:32AM
dmichael619(8a)

I have a pair of Carolina wrens that like to nest in my hoyas each year. they've been doing it now for the past 3 years. The first 2 years it was my latifolia IML 88 basket then this year it was a basket of pottsii. I also found a nest in my hoya rigida which is not in a basket but sitting on a gh bench.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 8:53PM
denise_gw

Oh, my, the wind is rocking the plant back and forth, and mama bird apparently doesn't find the swaying appealing 'cuz she's not in the nest. I'm sure the eggs will be fine in this heat...

What I love about Robins - and maybe this is just what all birds do - Papa Robin is always nearby, watchin' out for his woman. It's just special!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
rooting in semi-hydro media
I am going to try rooting my next batch of cuttings...
greentoe357
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™