Exploded Pumpkin

grass_lover(z5a IA)November 18, 2011

Hi Guys, I've been bitten with the daylily bug and have been looking for an Exploded Pumpkin that I can buy from a reputable dealer. It seems like the source for this lily is Spring hill Nursery, or Dutch Bulbs and they both get poor reviews at Daves Garden. I tried to buy one off Ebay last year and it turned out to be a Roswitha. I like the plant but am still in the market for an EP. :( If anyone knows of a nursery selling it or actually managed to buy one from Spring Hill, please let me know. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FlowerGardener(Z4 MN)

Exploded Pumpkin is not registered by the AHS. I would say the this is a name someone made up to sell a daylily that may or may not be registered under another name.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 12:43PM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

It does look a lot like Gerrie Frankenburger, and it's pretty close to Turning up the Heat. May have to go with one of the above.. I just liked the EP name. :)

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 12:56PM
mssunflower(7)

Have you checked with Gilber Wilde?????

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 4:20PM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

I don't think it's on their site now, but they might have sold out. Want to thank you for the suggestion though, maybe I can check back with them in the spring.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 5:22PM
bluenosens

Hi Grass Lover. I beleive Exploded Pumpkin is a Gerard Heemskerk intro not yet registered. I do have several of his cultivars and I especially like his Black Stockings and Macbeth. You may find EP in the spring at some of the local nurseries. Good luck, cheers, lloyd

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 7:40PM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

Good information to have Lloyd! Thank you... I've just spent a little time on his site and it was fun to recognize some of the plants I've been watching go through auctions for the last year. (I've studied the plants but not the hybridizers so this is all still pretty much new to me.) Anyway knowing the daylily comes from a known hybridizer makes me feel a little better about buying it.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 8:52PM
marricgardens

I have been looking for information about Gerard Heemskerk but can't find any. Does he have a web site? Marg

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 1:10PM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

The link's below, but his nursery isn't located in America, and at the time of my last post I thought he'd hybridized the lilies on his site. I was looking at Ageless Beauty and 8 miles high and thinking they were his. -I'm still glad to have his name though, may have to start paying more attention to the people behind the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heemskerk Plants

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
Who's still on the forum?
Uneasy making. Is this still going to work for comments...
organic_kitten
Jean
I'm afraid Jean is discouraged. Hope she won't quit...
organic_kitten
Blooms...I need blooms....Winter is too long!
Have to have a few just to get by Front area Then the...
organic_kitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™