Tree ID

garyfla_gw(10 Florida)October 1, 2012

Hi

Any ideas??Thanks gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trini1trini

It looks like a Schizolobium, maybe Schizolobium parahyba?

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:38AM
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

Definitely Schizolobium parahyba, Fern Tree

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 10:53AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
YEA somebody can identify it!!! lol Are either of you growing these.?? Any suggestions on how to prune it??
Thinking of removing the left limb entirely and cutting the other 3 to below the wire. Will it recover and if so how will it resprout?? The original plan was to grow only one head and in a large pot but the hurricanes changed that.lol Seems to only branch when injured.so maybe better to prune one limb at a time?? Any experience with flowering?? Thanks for the help, tough to find any info on them. You both won a million for the ID but will be a while before prize is awarded lol gary

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 3:08AM
katkin_gw

I have a tree I was told was Japanese fern tree that looks similar, but shorter with a fuller canopy. When I did a search of your tree it said Brazilan fern tree was the common name.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 6:21AM
trini1trini

I don't have the tree, I just know it is a very fast grower. I tried to grow it from seed a few times but none germinated.
-T

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 7:45AM
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

Schizolobium is a super fast grower. It can easily reach 20-30 ft in 2 years from seed. Once it reaches around 25ft tall it branches and forms a high canopy. In late spring/early summer they flower, producing bright yellow flowers.

I would take off all the branches excpt that middle one, the one sencond from the right. The rest are going to form a weak crotch area that will be prone to split apart.

Can you post another photo, lower, of the branching point ?

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:03AM
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

Thats the trouble with common names. "Fern Tree" can be any number of trees. Even if it is differentiated further it can still be erroneous.

"Japanese Fern Tree"- Fillicium decipiens, NOT Japanese, it is native to tropical eastern Africa, India and Sri Lanka. It would only grow in Okinawa in Japan.

"Brazilian Fern Tree"- Schizolobium parahyba, native from southern Mexico through Central America to down to Bolivia and Peru.

Sometimes Jacaranda are called Fern Trees. Quite a few lesser known trees are referred to as "Fern Trees". Then there are the various Tree Ferns which can be confused with the Fern Tree name.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:11AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
When i bought he seeds they were sold to me as Schizolobium amazonicum. "Yellow Jacaranda" According to Kew there is only one species parahyba though they listed amazonicum as a synonym. I like the Indian name Guaparuru lol It is a member of the caesalpinioidea.
Started in 03 and has been very abused due to storms ,frosts squirrels weed whips so most of the growth has happened in the last 3 years lol has never flowered
last was Wilma who took the crown out resulting in the present shape it is VERY wind sensitive has broke in as little as 30 MPH and is deciduous in a very odd way throws off entire limbs rather than leaves . makes loud cracking noises and throws the limbs 20 feet lol Also has some other odd properties ,a resin that capture lizards and seems to repel insects though i found no info on being carniverous. If interested ,had a long talk on the botany forum about it.. It has not become a "bird catcher " in spite of its size .Hard to check on the resin due to its size now.
Anyway here is some pix on the trunk and branches as you can see it's above the mainpower lines so need a method to prevent a disaster . It is now starting buttress roots ,suspect serious growth is going to start now . Kew listed it as 60 METERS lol. Not in my yard, would like to keep it if possible.. Any suggestions are very welcome thanks gary

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 5:03AM
jackie.pitts13

The schiz! Great fast growing N-fixer...I've managed it as a coppiced/pollarded tree that you cut back to encourage new succulent growth to use as a green manure....planted around or near fruit trees it's great for this purpose and grows back super vigorously. If you want to manage it that way, I'd recommend starting your cuts pretty high (as high as you can really manage, chest or head high) because the trunk will rot some below where you cut it...but yeah, you can cut back the entire main trunk and it'll grow back. Have you had flowers/fruit??

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 4:25PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
Around ten feet to where the branches begin. About forty to the top. Has never started a new limb on hard wood nor has it ever flowered. When my other specimen was
cut on hard wood it died.?? Since none of the limbs can be removed without an imbalance . Was thinking of cutting
all four limbs at around 20 feet Though it might be wiser to cut one or two and await and see what happens .??
Should result in four crowns?? What does the tree look like followingh your method?? Thanks gary

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:59PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Sure we're talking about the same tree??
gary

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™