Freezing baba ghanoush

tomtuxman(6bNY)September 10, 2009

At this somewhat late date, my eggplants have decided to surprise me and become VERY productive in contrast to their sluggish performance all Summer long.

Since DH and I can only consume so much eggplant parm, moussaka and the other usual suspects, I decided to make baba ghanoush which both of us really enjoy. It turned out better than I could ever have expected.

Question: does baba ghanoush freeze OK? I am not a canner (insufficient patience) and freezing is my only option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

It thaws out pretty close to the original, but separates out a bit. You can re-whir it in a food processor, re-incorporating it all.

I haven't done it, but I'd be tempted to roast the egg plant, whir it up with lemon juice, and freeze that, and then when you thaw it, add tahini, garlic, olive oil, and what ever other spices, and whir all that up. It would likely taste fresher.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 12:25PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Lots of garlic in that!!

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 2:54PM
lazy_gardens

I roast the eggplant, scoop it out and pack it into freezer containers. Then defrost and make the baba ganoush as desired when I'm ready.

It tastes better that way.

I have frozen excess baba ganoush, but it lost some flavor in the freezer.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 1:19PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

IMO it freezes just fine. Like david said, it separates a little when defrosted, but I just stir with a spoon and it's fine. I often add a little more lemon juice when I thaw it just to "brighten" it a bit.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™