Ragweed is Terrible!

ritaweedaOctober 25, 2011

I don't know if it's just something about this year or the fact that the road department hasn't been mowing the right-of-ways, but the ragweed is just all over the place and chest-high. My husband has been really suffering and now I'm beginning to succumb. Is anyone else noticing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cocoabeachlorax

I've been on Claritin for what seems like weeks now, it's awful.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 8:45PM
dirtygardener73(9a)

A lot of people are in the same boat, with the governments cutting back on expenses, roadside mowing is the first thing to be cut. Allergy sufferers are really suffering this year. I'm allergic to so many weeds that I just sniffle all year long.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 9:52AM
ritaweeda

I took a chance and emailed the road dept. here day before yesterday, and can you believe it - they mowed it yesterday. I was shocked! I especially emphasized a very high stand of weeds right at the intersection of a busier road where they blocked the view of oncoming traffic for drivers of low-profile vehicles like mine, so maybe that's why they reacted so quickly. Anyway, the ragweed is gone, if we could get some rain to wash down the pollen that would be gravy! We always keep our right-of-way mowed throughout the year, but so many of the residents here don't, but then it's rural with a lot of cattle ranches along the road, guess they are too busy to mow theirs. But then again, they usually have great big tractors they can use, while we have only the lawn mower, and our front property line is over 300 feet.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:22AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have been buying and using the local honey here in NE FL and it has really done wonders for my allergies the last few years. I use a spoonful in my tea in the morning.
One of my sons and my daughter have bad allergies to weeds and other blooming plants as well so they started using local honey as well. None of us had to take allergy medication this last spring or fall like we always did before every year. We all usually have bad allergies in the spring and fall and are usualy all on medication so this was really great for us.
I found our honey at the local farmer's market.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 7:22AM
chinchette(9b)

So here is a local honey question. Just how "local" does it need to be to deter allergies? My mom is on Longboat Key, and there is honey in Fort Meyers, about an hour and a half away. Is that close enough? Anyone know a source near Bradenton or Sarasota?

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™