can I grow this in a pot?

marcia_m(5 and 9)October 30, 2013

This Clerodendrum was a small cutting two springs ago but look at it now! It was about 3 feet tall when I left here in June. I have some work cut out for me. (Look at the candlestick cassia on the right, too, another monster. There is a banana tree in the back and a small fig tree and rose bush, among other things, under the clerodendrum--ugh!)

How would this clerodendrum do growing in a big pot? I'm not here all summer to water and look after it, though--can it survive? Probably depends on summer rains, right?
Marcia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Marcia, it will probably do fine if the pot is in half-day sun, half-day shade. You should also put it in a heavy pot, either glazed or clay/terra cotta. If it is in a plastic container, once it gets big again (as it no doubt will), it will blow over during the high gusty winds of summer rain storms and then it will no longer get rain water on the roots.

All of your plants are so pretty!

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:44AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Carol is right AGAIN! LOL

I have several large shrubs of this Clero. in the ground and 2 in pots. They do get top-heavy and fall over UNTIL the roots grow through the holes in the pot and anchor in the ground. They get so large that it's not practical to grow them in pots once they get large, which they do.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:19PM
tom123_gw(9b)

I have this plant, but don't know the real name of it.I think it is a Clerodendrum speciosissimum.

I started out with one cutting then it grew and it has multiplied. They are growing in a shady area and blooming quite well. I originally got it because I saw a hummingbird visiting one at the Sanford zoo. It gets visits from a number of butterflies along with some hummingbirds.

This post was edited by tom123 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 6:28

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:18AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

I like the plant, I just don't like how it is covering everything nearby--I want to grow some other plants, too :) We're not here all summer to control the runners and pop up plants and that is the reason I wanted to grow it in a pot.

I looked up the plant, Tom. It is Clerodendrum speciosissimum, as you say. I got it as a small start from a garden club. I should always be suspicious of plants from those clubs. My garden in PA became almost unmanageable in just this way. When you have enough plants of a certain kind so that you can give them away, the plant is often a troublemaker (read: prolific and hard to control)!

Thank you for your input, too, Kay. I was afraid growing it in a pot would be a temporary solution. I guess I'll have to think about what to do with this one.

Marcia

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 9:28AM
katkin_gw

It also take to hard pruning. You could cut it back now and then again before you leave. :o)

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 8:40AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

I rescued the rose and fig tree that were buried by the plants and removed some of the runners. If it doesn't get cut back by frost this winter, I'll prune it when we leave. I'll definitely keep after the runners this winter.
Marcia

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
African Queen
I started 5 seeds over a week ago and so far have 1...
garf_gw
Blue Sky Vine yellowing.....
I took a cutting from a Blue Sky Vine when I moved...
echobelly
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Callisia Repens is killing my lawn
Hi all, I bought a house a couple of years ago, with...
oldmangroot
Sponsored Products
Windflower Hand-hooked Wool Area Rug - 1'8" x 2'6"
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Landmark Lighting 60064-3L Menlow Park 3 Light Pendant in Polished Chrome
Beyond Stores
Deco Revival Giclee Energy Efficient Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Oriental Weavers Rugs Grace Torres Multi 1 ft. 10
$48.97 | Home Depot
Stacy Garcia Metropolitan 13 1/2" Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus